Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

I was so pleased to attend the AGM. As some of you know, I’m from Los Angeles, so it was a ridiculously easy trip for me. Most everyone I met from the board was Canadian, except for BrightTech (who is a very smart guy and great writer) and Andy, an American southern gentlemen (wouldn't really be right to call you a fellow "Yank," right, Andy?), who could have been a character right out of To Kill a Mockingbird.

I agree with most everything already posted by others in attendance, and for the most part will not dwell on particulars, but will give my overall impressions of the entire experience.

While seeing and meeting members of management was the highlight, I would be remiss if I didn’t start off by saying how impressed I was with the members of this board who had to endure difficult, expensive and long journeys to attend. I have invested in various Canadian companies over the last 20 years and have encountered many interesting and wonderful Canadians as a result – a very generous and fiercely loyal group! As I told the group at lunch yesterday, if I might sense a difference between Canadian and American investors, it may be that Canadians are more trusting – a mixed blessing. In the few hours we spent together, I became completely comfortable with the group: no agendas, no pretense, everyone was open and honest and genuine (even the guy who said he was Wayne Gretzky).

I feel confident that among this board’s attendees, I was clearly the most reserved and cautious about investment in the Company (and also the smallest shareholder, by a good margin, and I have a decent amount of shares). As I posted before the meeting, I attended to observe and get a personal sense of management and any vibes that might be emanating from them; then, got a huge bonus when Suresh was suddenly named. Bottom line, I got what I came for and more.

When I first invested in Poet (then Opel, but at the point the new chip was the focus), I was quite skeptical, but took the word of a trusted friend. That skepticism has dwindled over time, taking an absolute plunge when Ajit joined, and my comfort level has continued to grow since then. Now, as a result of the AGM, I am more comfortable and less skeptical than ever. I would say my feelings are not dissimilar to schnauser’s as expressed in his “Dream Small” post, my principal point of departure being that, to me, “dreaming big” or “dreaming small” has more to do with the individual’s personality than anything objectively measured.

The Meeting:

Our two new leaders are, in a word, terrific, outstanding individuals. I was especially pleased with the way Suresh handled himself at the meeting - I believe the CEO’s role is in fine hands. Not one iota, not one hint of any sense of pretension or entitlement of any kind amongst management, no need to talk about their past accomplishments and the large companies they came from, no sense of “you guys are lucky that we’re here to rescue POET” – all great signs of effective leadership.

We’ve got tech thoroughbreds leading the company now, all of the class of American Pharoah! Plus, Ajit, Suresh and Subhash are so personable, and comfortable with people, including strangers like myself, and that’s a dynamite combination. They are so easy to approach, they make you feel quite at ease, and not like they can't wait to get away from you; I had no trepidation at all in speaking to any of them. I got the very clear sense that the two milestones (VSCEL and RO) are both only a matter of when (no issue with the theory or the physics), and that “when” is in the not too distant future. I got this impression both from their speeches as well as some individual conversations with them.

A word about Peter Copetti – I have not been his biggest fan, initially, he struck me as a typical, but good, securities salesman, and he’s admitted to being a capital markets guy; it's not in my nature to be a big fan of those types. Forgive my presumptiveness on this next, but I actually feel the Poet experience may have changed him (Dr. Taylor and Ajit both being largely responsible). The guy I heard speak in February 2013 when raising some money, is a different guy from who I heard yesterday. I think Peter fell in love with POET and his respect for Doc Taylor grew over his tenure. Now, he is stepping aside for the greater good, kinda like Bogie in Casablanca (I’m an LA guy, what do you expect!). He made a most gracious exit, and I so much appreciate his efforts in first finding and then attracting Ajit to the company - that was an immense accomplishment. In my eyes, he became far more than a capital markets guy in the last three years.

I listened to Doc Taylor interacting with the group from this board after the meeting; he seemed in good health and spirits, and very willing to talk tech with our techies, Abel especially was animated and excited about the conversation (disclosure: Abel is pretty much animated and excited at all times!).

I realize there is a contingent on this board that has reservations about the company, eventual success, and management, and I certainly count myself among that group. I'm speaking here mainly to those people - the words of Ajit, Suresh and Subhash were right, but far more importantly, the delivery was on the money, completely sincere and believable. As a result, the bona fides of management is beyond any doubt I have. In a very short time, I was able to conclude that our new CEO and COO are people of the highest quality, who have accepted roles in which they have the tools to succeed. As these two men were already very successfully positioned people, it gives one an idea of the opportunity they perceive with POET.

New Message
Please login to post a reply