Welcome To The Petrostar Petroleum HUB On AGORACOM

Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section

Free
Message: Activity Update .......acquired some 30 additional PN&G leases

:

"Extracting oil in Alaska's North Slope is a bigger problem than you may imagine. While some may think this field is old and depleted, this is not the problem. The oil is deep below the permafrost. The oil is heavy and in some cases so thick it cannot flow. Why is SAGD technology not being used? Curious to know if Petrostar's newly developing technology may work?"

JD

Answer:

We must look and understand where the unique field is and it's problems. The North Slope is situated in Beaufort Sea, approximately 250 miles north of the Arctic Circle, and 1,300 miles south of the North Pole. Alaska's North Slope is the 18th largest field in the world. It is the largest field in North America. The Prudhoe Bay discovery well was drilled by Atlantic Richfield Company and Humble Oil and Refining Company way back in 1967.

Unilateral wells in that area are now drilled. The main vertical wells reach 5000 feet and may have as many as five horizontal legs in symmetrical configuration. Each leg may be an additional 5000 feet with a possible total of 25000 feet into sand containing heavy oil. Some of the oil is extremely heavy and will not flow. The situation in this field is far different from any field that I know.

I believe that the biggest problem with steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) is environmental concern. In some cases there is perma frost to depths greater than 2000 feet. While these wells are drilled at depths well below the perma frost precautions must be made to prevent thawing and environment damage.

I understand that one of the operating companies in the North Slope are looking at very similar technology that Petrostar is developing for it's heavy oil wells in southern Saskatchewan. This device is lowered down into a well. Steam is generated at levels far below the surface up to a maximum of 5000 feet from the surface to liquefy the very heavy oil. Petrostar representative felt that their device is suitable for the North Slope. The technology is now in final stages of development and testing. I understand that their device is patent pending.

Jeri

Question:

"A friend told me that by forcing sand into

New Message
Please login to post a reply