Establishing Ontario's First Regional Lithium Battery Materials Refinery In Thunder Bay

Creating A Supply Chain to Serve the Needs of Battery & Ceramic Manufacturers

Free

INDUSTRY BULLETIN: Avalon Receives Industry Award For Best use of Renewables for Mine Exploration

On November 22, 2016, Avalon Advanced Materials received the Best Use of Renewables for Mine Exploration award at the Energy and Mines’ Renewables in Mining Awards event, co-sponsored by Carbon War Room and Canada Clean Fuels

This event was part of the World Congress of Energy and Mines conference and was the 4th annual gathering of mine energy decision-makers and alternative energy solution providers. Attendees included representatives from companies based in Canada, Chile, Mexico, Australia and South Africa.

There were 12 categories for the awards utilizing wind and solar technology solutions. Winners were selected through a combination of independent research, a nominations process and international jury consideration. This particular award was given to Avalon “to recognize innovation and leadership in the use of renewables for mine exploration, prospecting or early mine development.” 

Dr. Bill Mercer, Avalon’s VP, Exploration, led the initiative to reduce energy consumption from diesel fuel at the Company’s Nechalacho Project in the Northwest Territories. Avalon was recognized for installing and operating a renewable energy system at the mining exploration stage that integrated diesel generator, battery bank, inverter system and solar panels at the Nechalacho Project. The initial motivation was reducing diesel consumption and associated costs. The battery bank also enabled the use of safer, high efficiency tent heaters, leading to even greater savings in diesel consumption. These heaters required reliable pure electrical power for digital controls.

Avalon implemented its system in 2013 and since then, in just three years, an increasing number of lower cost energy storage systems have become available that can be tailored to individual camp circumstances. The Tesla Powerwall 2 system, which uses lithium ion battery technology, is a good example of a new lower-cost camp energy storage solution. 

Avalon would like to acknowledge with thanks the financial contribution from the Government of the Northwest Territories through its Alternative Energies Technologies Program. Avalon would also like to acknowledge the Northwest Territories workers at site who installed and operated the system, especially Camp Manager Randy O’Keefe. They had no previous experience in this technology and through their dedication made the system a success.

A full story about the event and other award winners can be viewed on the Canadian Mining Journal website here: 
http://www.canadianminingjournal.com/news/awards-renewable-energy-winners/

For questions or feedback, please email Avalon at [email protected].

New Message
Please login to post a reply