Welcome To the WIN!!! St. Elias Mines HUB On AGORACOM

Keep in mind, the opinions on this site are for the most part speculation and are not necessarily the opinions of the company WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Free
Message: Foreign Investment Promotion/Protection Agreement with China

Very astute post, greaser. Canada has been working to get into the Pacific rim trading arena for years now. Our "traditional" trade partners are probably not too happy about that - they see, often, see us as another state or 10+ new colonies. Expect some negative reactions along the road if Canada intends to assert itself globally (an intiative I fully support).

The latest flap about the EU treating oils sands product as toxic is just another manifestation of that, IMHO. I personally don't think the Europeans would have come up with that one on their own. The concept that Canada is a SOVERIEGN nation could be frightening to those who have controlled world economies for the past 100 years. Expect to see negative views expressed from high offices anytime the status quo is threatened or challenged.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-American, at all. Living next door to the "second" greatest country in the world is an eviable priveledge. We benefit so much from their culture, their technology, and their usually unconditional friendship. I feel at home there, as I would hope they would feel here. It's just that we are not them - we have grown up, and we are fully capable of taking our own place on the world stage. Canada went through a similar metamorphisis in the early days of WWII, when we asserted our independence from Britain. In the end we fought, and died, alongside them, but in our own time and in our own way.

I'm very proud to be a Canadian. I don't have to love or hate anyone to do that, and I'm willing to respect anyone who respects our right to be independent. Isn't that the American dream, after all.

Sorry for the rant. This has long been a sore spot with me. And, as always My Personal Opinion.

No Worries

New Message
Please login to post a reply