Welcome To The 300 Club HUB On AGORACOM

We may not make much money, but we sure have a lot of fun!

Free

Calling ebear - what's new in Ecuador?

posted on Nov 03, 2008 04:09AM

Hi ebear thanks for your time and effort in setting up this forum to keep the old ARU gang together, much appreciated.

Since you're the resident expert on Ecuadorian politics, I would like to ask you if anything has changed since the April Mining Mandate in Ecuador? Personally I have not seen a single act that has moved mining forward in that country. Lots of hot air by politicians and some media type promotions, but no real advancements whatsoever. Am I right?

For example, to our dismay the 180 day moratorium continued. Why for heaven's sake! We don't know why would a government wants to stop its own people from working for no apparent reason? The Mining Law, touted a a top priority before and after the passing of the constituion, is seemingly forgotton. The windfall tax is first reported as dead and then not dead. The three concession rule is still not clarified, etc.....

In another word, nothing has changed since April. Maybe in retrospect, the "so called" buyout of ARU by Kinross is a blessing in disguise. Can you image the ARU SP if we have not been "assimulated" by Kinross? Not that Kinross is doing any great, but at least there is a little more cushion to the fall.

Anyway, if you have some insight on the situation in Ecuador, please do share with us. The one thing I won't be surprised is that Raphael Correa is likely working very hard to change the constitution again to make himself "presendente for life". It seems once they got in no one likes to leave!

Maybe that's where the real priority of that government lies.

New Message
Please login to post a reply