Welcome To The 300 Club HUB On AGORACOM

We may not make much money, but we sure have a lot of fun!

Free

"We spend billions on programs that address dropouts, reduce substance abuse, assist young people in trouble with the law, encourage nutrition, subsidize housing, provide safe houses for the victims of family violence, run the Children’s Aid, realign incentives in the tax system for the working poor, support First Nations education and fund micro-managing welfare systems that do not bring anyone above the poverty line. And yet the [percentage of impoverished Canadians], depending on the province or region, has not changed in decades.

Typical politician, making statements that are unsupported by fact. Several years ago I met a young native guy who was attending BCIT - studying to become an aircraft mechanic - a useful skill, especially up north where he planned to return and work after graduation. His tuition was paid through a govt. scholarship and the band paid his room and board while at school. So there's one example that puts the lie to that statement. I'm sure there are others. Oh wait! I'm one! Back in the 70's I was unemployed and on UIC. I knew I needed a better than minimum wage job and the govt. knew that too! They paid for me to learn to drive tractor trailers, and for the next few years that's what I did. I can still do that if I have to - it's my plan-B. So, thanks to that govt. initiative I was able to pay my way through college, get an even better job, and pay enough taxes over the years to more than offset the cost of helping me out.

No doubt there are problems with the current system, but grandstanding about it isn't a solution. One change I would like to see though is a senate elected by popular vote. Then we can vote this fool Segal out of office.

New Message
Please login to post a reply