5 advanced properties with NI 43-101 resources of 1.7 MM oz. of gold

Recent Drill Results: 2.03 g/T over 106.8 metres, including 2.81 g/T over 72.9 metres

Free
Message: Acadian Mining announces that ScoZinc has obtained creditor protection

Acadian Mining announces that ScoZinc has obtained creditor protection

posted on Jan 05, 2009 09:26AM
Acadian Mining announces that ScoZinc has obtained creditor protection

Trading Symbol: ADA:TSX; C2Z-Frankfurt

Shares Outstanding: 153,402,907

HALIFAX, Dec. 23 /CNW/ - Acadian Mining Corporation (TSX: ADA) ("Acadian" or the "Company") announces that ScoZinc Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Acadian, has obtained an order from the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia granting ScoZinc Limited ("ScoZinc") creditor protection pursuant to the provisions of the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA"). The Supreme Court of Nova Scotia (the "Court") has granted CCAA protection for an initial 30 days expiring on January 20, 2009, to be extended thereafter as the Court deems appropriate. The CCAA protection will stay creditors, suppliers and others from enforcing any rights against ScoZinc while ScoZinc reviews the various alternatives for the restructuring of its affairs until world base metal prices rebound.

The Court also authorized ScoZinc to borrow up to $250,000 to meet short-term operating commitments and, on December 31, 2008, will consider the Corporation's application to borrow up to an aggregate of $1.0 million for these purposes.

ScoZinc's Board of Directors, in consultation with the Board of Directors of Acadian, determined that seeking creditor protection is in the interests of ScoZinc, its creditors, shareholders, employees, customers and other stakeholders. These actions are necessary because of ScoZinc's inability to fund operations primarily due to the drastic decline in metal prices, particularly over the past two months. See Acadian's news release 24-08 for further information.

On January 1, 2008, zinc and lead prices were US$1.08 per pound and US$1.23 per pound respectively. On October 1, 2008, zinc and lead prices were down to US$0.75 per pound and US$0.82 per pound respectively. On December 1, 2008, the prices for zinc had declined a further 33% to US$0.50 and lead 49% to US$0.42 per pound. On December 22, 2008, the price for zinc was US$0.51 and lead was US$0.39 per pound.

Acadian holds the Scotia Mine zinc-lead asset through ScoZinc. Acadian's gold assets are held in another subsidiary that is not affected by this action.

Several months ago, ScoZinc took active measures to implement a cost reduction program at the Scotia Mine in order to attempt to continue operations within the then existing margins. These measures included the lay off of 27 employees in late October. Recently, Acadian announced that ScoZinc was scaling back its operations at the Scotia Mine due to the continued deterioration of metal prices These measures included reducing the Scotia Mine staff by a further 38 employees, bringing the current complement of workers to 70, which is roughly half the number of workers that ScoZinc had employed in October, 2008.

It has become apparent to ScoZinc's senior management that the Scotia Mine should be transitioned to a reduced-operation mode and then, if necessary, to a "care and maintenance" status until such time as zinc and lead prices become more favourable, or potentially to process gold ore from one or more of Acadian's nearby gold properties. It is anticipated that Scotia Mine will continue to operate on a reduced operation basis until February or March 2009. A decision to put the mine on care and maintenance will be made at that time.

While under CCAA protection, management of ScoZinc will remain responsible for the day-to-day operations of ScoZinc, under the supervision of the Court appointed monitor, Grant Thornton, who will be responsible for monitoring ScoZinc's ongoing operations, assisting management with the development of a restructuring plan, reporting to the creditors and the Court, and assisting management with respect to the restructuring of the business.

About the Company

-----------------

Acadian is a Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada based mining company which operates a zinc-lead mine (Scotia Mine) at Gays River, Nova Scotia and is exploring and developing gold, zinc-lead, and barite properties in Atlantic Canada. The Scotia Mine operates as an open pit mine and is expected to produce 30,000 tonnes of high grade zinc concentrate and 8 -10,000 tonnes of high grade lead concentrate in 2008. See Acadian's News Release No. 16-06 dated July 17, 2006 for further details.

Forward Looking Statement

-------------------------

Certain information regarding the Company contained herein may constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of applicable securities laws. Forward-looking statements may include estimates, plans, expectations, opinions, forecasts, projections, guidance or other statements that are not statements of fact. Although the Company believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable, it can give no assurance that such expectations will prove to have been correct. The Company cautions that actual performance will be affected by a number of factors, many of which are beyond the Company's control, and that future events and results may vary substantially from what the Company currently foresees.

Discussion of the various factors that may affect future results is contained in the Company's 2006 Annual Report which is available at www.sedar.com. The Company's forward-looking statements are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement.

Other

-----

For additional information on the Company's properties and activities, please visit our web site at www.acadianmining.com. If you wish to be added to the Company's e-mail or fax distribution list for future news releases and updates, please contact Acadian at phone: 902 444-7779, fax: 902 444-3296, email: [email protected].

No regulatory authority has approved or disapproved the contents of this

release.

Source: Canada NewsWire (December 23, 2008 - 11:26 AM EST)

News by QuoteMedia
www.quotemedia.com
New Message
Please login to post a reply