Welcome To The Active Control Technology HUB On AGORACOM

We make wireless work.

Free
Message: L-3 Accolade promo video and FAQ's for ACCOLADE & THRU-TRACKER

L-3 Accolade promo video and FAQ's for ACCOLADE & THRU-TRACKER

posted on Jun 11, 2009 07:00AM
L-3 Accolade promotional video: https://www.gses.l-3com.com/mine_saf...

THRU-TRACKER (Precision location system) [FAQ]

• What is Ultra Wideband (UWB)?

Ultra Wideband (UWB) is a wireless communications technology that transmits data in short pulses spread out over a wide swath of radio frequency spectrum. These short transmission pulses allow UWB signals and their parent devices to overcome the propagation challenges (i.e., numerous reflective surfaces) which hinder the ability of traditional narrowband communications systems.

• What is your location accuracy for the wireless mesh system?

Exact location accuracy has not been established, but will be consistent with NIOSH requirements. Further testing will be conducted during 2009 to confirm these estimates.

• How much will your system cost?

Exact costs for the final production version of the L-3 TRU-TRACKER Precision Location System are still under development. However, based on our initial estimates we believe that the cost of our system make it affordable for all mine operators, regardless of mine size.

• Is your system MSHA certified/intrinsically safe?

The L-3 TRU-TRACKER Precision Location System will be MSHA certified as intrinsically safe when it is sold to the mining industry.

• Is your system compliant with the requirements of the 2006 MINER Act?

Yes. The L-3 TRU-TRACKER Precision Location System meets all of the communications and location tracking requirements as proscribed by the 2006 MINER Act.

• Is your system compliant with West Virginia mine safety regulations?

L-3 will be submitting the TRU-TRACKER Precision Location System for WV approval later this year.

• What is the duration of your system's emergency power supply?

The RFID tags which are located throughout the mine are estimated to have a battery life of 8-10 years and are not dependent on mine power.

• Does your tracking system work with existing communications systems which a mine already has in place or will a mine operator have to start anew?

Yes. Our system is designed to integrate and work with existing wired and wireless mine communications systems. This design foresight provides unique operational efficiencies for mines, and allows mine operators to see continued benefit from their previous capital expenditures on communications systems.

• How/where can I see your system in an operational setting?

L-3 will be installing a fully-functional version of the system in CONSOL's Enlow Fork Mine in the summer.

• When will your system be available for installation in mines?

L-3 will begin meeting with mine operators in the summer of 2009 regarding the L-3 TRU-TRACKER Precision Location System, with deployments of final production systems commencing later in the year.

• Will your system work in other types of mines?

Yes. We anticipate that our system will be applicable for use in other types of mines following any necessary system modifications required by the mine structure or the RF-altering characteristics of the mined commodity.

• What is the background/history behind this project?

In July 2007, L-3 Communications was awarded a competitive, three-phase R&D contract by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) to design, develop, and produce a prototype TRU-TRACKER Precision Location System which would be responsive to the requirements of the 2006 MINER Act. The contract is scheduled to end in June 2009.

• Who is L-3 Global Security and Engineering Solutions (L-3 GS&ES)?

L-3 Global Security and Engineering Solutions is a division of L-3 Communications Corporation. Headquartered in Chantilly, Virginia, near Washington, DC, L-3 GS&ES has nearly 3,000 employees throughout the United States and worldwide providing a wide range of technical, analytical, operational, and security services and products to Government and commercial customers. Core capabilities include integrated security solutions and services, engineering and technical services, program management and financial analysis, and an array of Homeland Security/Homeland Defense-related products and services.

ACCOLADE (Wireless Mesh System)

• What is the operating frequency of your system?

We have selected a frequency which provides for the best propagation distance for communications through mine entries, around corners, and down cross-cuts. This frequency also allows for an optimal mix of robust voice and data transmission rates, power consumption levels, and component form factor (i.e., size).

• How much will your system cost?

Exact costs are still under development. However, based on our initial estimates we believe that the cost of our system makes it affordable for all mine operators, regardless of mine size. Note: final system costs will be determined by the unique characteristics of each mine in which the system is installed and the extent of mine communications coverage requested.

• Is your system MSHA certified/intrinsically safe?

Yes, the L-3 ACCOLADE Wireless Mesh System and its components are approved by MSHA for use in underground coal mining environments.

• Is your system compliant with the requirements of the 2006 MINER Act?

Yes. The L-3 ACCOLADE Wireless Mesh System meets all of the communications and location tracking requirements as proscribed by the 2006 MINER Act.

• Is your system compliant with West Virginia mine safety regulations?

Yes, the L-3 ACCOLADE Wireless Mesh System received State of West Virginia approval in September 2008.

• What is the duration of your system's emergency power supply?

All below-ground Wireless Mesh components have battery backup systems with durations in excess of 24-hours, as directed by U.S. Government requirements, in the event that mine power supplies are disconnected or disabled.

• Does your wireless mesh system work with existing communications systems which a mine already has in place or will a mine operator have to start anew?

Yes. Our system has been designed since the beginning to integrate and work with existing mine communications systems, including wire-based systems such as leaky feeder and fiber optic. This design foresight provides unique operational efficiencies for mines, and allows mine operators to see continued benefit from their previous capital expenditures on communications systems.

• Does your system include a miner locating component?

Yes. The L-3 ACCOLADE Wireless Mesh System does include a miner locating capability. The locating system associated with the miner's handheld radio; signal strength data is transmitted via the wireless network and then displayed as location on a situational awareness display located in an above-ground operations center.

• How/where can I see your system in an operational setting?

L-3 has deployed a fully-functional ACCOLADE Wireless Mesh System in the ICG Sentinel Mine (Philippi, WV). In addition, L-3 offers on-site mine demonstrations of the ACCOLADE Wireless Mesh System for prospective clients. Please contact L-3 to schedule a potential demonstration at your mine.

• When will your system be available for installation in mines?

The L-3 ACCOLADE Wireless Mesh System is available for immediate installation.

• Will your system work in other types of mines?

Yes. We anticipate that our system will be applicable for use in other types of mines following any necessary system modifications required by the mine structure or the RF-altering characteristics of the mined commodity.

• What is the background/history behind this project?

In May 2007, L-3 Communications was awarded a competitive R&D contract by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) to design, develop, and produce a prototype ACCOLADE Wireless Mesh System which would be responsive to the requirements of the 2006 MINER Act. This R&D contract was a 19-month, three phased effort, which culminated in a full-scale in-mine system prototype deployment. The contract ended in 2009.

• Who is L-3 Global Security and Engineering Solutions (L-3 GS&ES)?

L-3 Global Security and Engineering Solutions is a division of L-3 Communications Corporation. Headquartered in Chantilly, Virginia, near Washington, DC, L-3 GS&ES has nearly 3,000 employees throughout the United States and worldwide providing a wide range of technical, analytical, operational, and security services and products to Government and commercial customers. Core capabilities include integrated security solutions and services, engineering and technical services, program management and financial analysis, and an array of Homeland Security/Homeland Defense-related products and services.

New Message
Please login to post a reply