Building Shareholder Value from Iron Ore

Exploring Base Metal and Iron Properties in Western Labrador, Central Newfoundland and Northeastern Quebec: Featuring over 5.0 Bt of Iron Ore Resources in the Fermont Property Claim Blocks

Free

Champion Iron can withstand a fall in iron prices

GOOGLE TRANSLATION of:
https://www.lesaffaires.com/secteurs-d-activite/ressources-naturelles/champion-iron-peut-resister-a-une-chute-des-prix-du-fer/599587
(12/26/2017)

Iron Champion can withstand a fall in iron prices

Publié le 26/12/2017 à 11:35

Crédit photo (123RF)

The Quebec iron concentrate producer has a competitive cost structure. Here's how it can withstand a storm.

Even though iron prices were expected to fall, Champion Iron Limited (CIA, $ 1.27) is strong enough to absorb the shock, while its Bloom Lake iron concentrate plant on the North Shore will enter production in March.

On December 19, the price of iron was US $ 70 per tonne. However, even if the price fell to US $ 60 in the next few years (as Scotiabank also predicts), the Bloom Lake iron mine would still be profitable.

"At $ 60 per tonne, we would still be very comfortable," says David Cataford, vice president of engineering at Champion.

In February 2017, the project's feasibility study showed that the cost of producing the mine is $ 44.62 (US $ 34.77). At a price of US $ 70 per tonne, Champion has significant room for maneuver.

On the other hand, if the ton of iron fell to US $ 50, the mining company should adjust its cost structure, admits David Cataford.

On the other hand, the fact that Champion produces a concentrate with an iron content of 66% gives him an advantage, because buyers on the market are ready to pay a premium for this higher quality product.

A $ 350 million project
The relaunch of the former Cliffs Natural Resources Mine is a $ 350 million project, which is fully funded. The capital structure includes $ 272.7 million in debt and $ 77.3 million in equity.
The Qubec government is one of the shareholders of the project.
At its peak, the mine will produce 7.5 million tonnes of iron concentrate per year.

Nearly half of the production (3 million tonnes) will be exported to Japan. It is the Japanese trading house Sojitz that will import iron into the Japanese market.
The rest of the production (4.5 million tonnes) will be exported to China and Europe. The Anglo-Swiss multinational Glencore will ship the ore in these two markets.

Champion also does not rule out exporting part of its production to Taiwan and South Korea one day if the demand is there.

The evolution of the Canada-US exchange rate is favorable to Champion. For the past five years, the loonie has lost nearly 25% of its value to CA $ 0.77.

Champion Iron peut rsister une chute des prix du fer

Le producteur de concentr de fer qubcois a une structure de cots comptitive. Voici comment il peut rsister une tempte.

Mme si les prix du fer devaient chuter, Champion Iron Limited (CIA, 1,27$) a les reins assez solides pour absorber le choc, alors que son usine de concentr de fer du lac Bloom, sur la Cte-Nord, entrera en production en mars.

Le 19 dcembre, le prix du fer s’tablissait 70$US la tonne. Or, mme si le cours descendait 60$US dans les prochaines annes (comme le prvoit du reste la Banque Scotia), la mine de fer du lac Bloom serait encore rentable.

« 60$US la tonne, nous serions encore trs confortables», affirme au bout du fil David Cataford, vice-prsident ingnierie chez Champion.

En fvrier 2017, l’tude de faisabilit du projet a montr que le cot de production de la mine s’lve 44,62$ (34,77$US). Or, un prix de 70$US la tonne, Champion dispose d’une marge de manuvre importante.

Par contre, si la tonne de fer descendait 50$US, la minire devrait ajuster sa structure de cots, admet David Cataford.

Par contre, le fait que Champion produise un concentr avec une teneur en fer de 66% lui procure un avantage, car les acheteurs sur le march sont prts payer une prime pour ce produit de plus grande qualit.

Un projet de 350 millions de dollars

La relance de l’ancienne mine de Cliffs ressources naturelles est un projet valu 350 millions de dollars, qui est entirement financ. La structure en capital comprend 272,7 M$ de dette et 77,3 M$ en quit.

Le gouvernement du Qubec est l’un des actionnaires du projet.

son apoge, la mine produira 7,5 millions de tonnes de concentr de fer par anne.

Prs de la moiti de la production (3 millions de tonnes) sera exporte au Japon. C’est la maison de commerce nippone Sojitz qui importera le fer sur le march japonais.

Le reste de la production (4,5 millions de tonnes) sera export en Chine et en Europe. La multinationale anglo-suisse Glencore expdiera le minerai sur ces deux marchs.

Champion n’exclut pas non plus d’exporter une jour une partie de sa production Tawan et en Core du Sud si la demande est au rendez-vous.

L’volution du taux de change canado-amricain est favorable Champion. Depuis 5 ans, le huard a perdu prs de 25% de sa valeur pour atteindre 0,77$CA.
New Message
Please login to post a reply