Welcome to the Connacher Oil and Gas Hub on AGORACOM

Connacher is a growing exploration, development and production company with a focus on producing bitumen and expanding its in-situ oil sands projects located near Fort McMurray, Alberta

Free

What's this I heard indirectly that there was something on the news on the radio in Alberta this evening about a group of companies sending a letter to the provincial government asking them to limit development of oil sands properties or leases?

I didn't hear it myself. Were they talking about wanting to actually stop approving applications for projects (ie. Algar) or were they simply suggesting that the government shouldn't sell off any more leases at the provincial auctions? The former would sound more logical - limiting the entry of new players. Also, deferring the auctions for a couple years might mean that if they started auctioning again five years from now, the property values would be greatly increased compared to today's values. If that's the case, then I presume that it would be established players making this request under the assumption that it would be in their own best interests to see the auctions halted for a few years, to give them time to catch up. Ie. either their own share prices would appreciate after a few years, assuming that their own projects got closer to production, but at the moment they don't have the cash to buy more leases and so they are therefore hoping to limit the entry of additional players in an overheated sector.

New Message
Please login to post a reply