Welcome to the Crystallex HUB on AGORACOM

Crystallex International Corporation is a Canadian-based gold company with a successful record of developing and operating gold mines in Venezuela and elsewhere in South America

Free

Weird for sure.  500K Bolivars worth about $12.72. Talks about Bonds, Crystallex and lack of medicine. But 4M must register for it just before municipal elections. Sounds like getting names to screw voters. Cuban hand. They just recently  had a meeting with Cuban senior leaders.

Anyways, for what its worth I pulled a paragraph from a Bloomberg article about BITCOIN. Here it is:

"So that leaves option 2. (Or of course the ever-present option 3, do nothing and hope somehow it all works out.) Option 2, in the case of Venezuela, is both exceptionally unpleasant -- Venezuela's lead negotiator is an alleged drug kingpin who allegedly "brought in armed gangs to intimidate" opponents in student elections -- and unusually interesting. Most sovereign debtors don't have a lot of assets abroad that creditors can seize. (NML Capital famously seized an Argentine Navy tall ship once, but it's not like it was able to sell the ship at auction.) But Venezuela's state-owned oil company, Petróleos de Venezuela SA, sells lots of oil abroad, and owns Citgo Holding Inc., a U.S. refining company. If you don't worry too much about the formalities, you might just think, well, Venezuela owes me money, and Venezuela owns Citgo, so I can foreclose on Citgo to satisfy my judgment.

"If you do worry about the formalities, you might still think that, but it's a lot more complicated: Venezuela and PDVSA (and Citgo) are different entities, each with their own debts, and it's not obvious that you can go after PDVSA for the debts of Venezuela. But it's worth a try. Crystallex International Corporation is a Canadian mining company whose assets in Venezuela were expropriated years ago. It won an international arbitration award against Venezuela, got a judgment on that award in New York, and is now trying to get its hands on some Citgo assets to satisfy that judgment.

"It is not obvious that this will work. Mark Weidemaier is skeptical, writing that "the case for alter ego liability" -- holding PDVSA responsible for Venezuela's debts -- "seems thin." Here is more from Richard Cooper and Boaz Morag of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, who are similarly cautious, but who conclude that "One thing is clear: Crystallex’s efforts to pursue its alter ego claims against PDVSA will be closely watched by Republic and PDVSA creditors alike." If Crystallex's effort works, then everyone to whom Venezuela owes money is going to pile in and try to seize everything worth seizing. If it doesn't work then ... then it's not clear what will?"

New Message
Please login to post a reply