Developing Processes For The Low-Cost Manufacturing Of High Purity Silicon Metals For Next-Generation Lithium-ion Batteries

Achieved final critical milestones, completing a successful silicon pour

Sponsored
Message: Question for the CEO Bernard Tourllion - and /or anyone else who can shed light on this
Dear Bernard

I am puzzled about the 5N level of purity you have often said will be sufficient for solar silicon.

I looked at one of the sources from your most recent presentation (PVinsights.com) used as a source for one of the graphs showing PV polysilicon (SoG Si) demand (dated 2018)
I was very surprised to see that PV polysilicon SoG Si was listed as 9N and 9N+ because I know that you have been indicating that Solar grade silicon could be 5N which you would be producing after up grading the 4N Purevap silicon you indicate will be produced in the Purevap reactor. An interesting added complication is that the average spot price for 9N to 9N+ silicon is given as around  $9 / Kg ? only about $3.75 more than your predicted costs? and 2nd Grade polysilicon at 6N to 8N is averaging around $6.90 / Kg only a little more than $1.50 more than your estimated costs and at least 10 times the purity.

An upgrading by Appolon by a factor of 10 times in purity, seems quite challenging although presumably quite possible with the appropriate expertise.
What I find difficult to understand is how they would upgrade to 9N from 4N, a purity improvement of 5N or 100,000 times more pure.

I called a silicon expert in Sarnia, and another in Waterloo because I was confused by these numbers, both of them indicated that the days of 5N to 6N silicon for solar applications are long gone, they both indicated this has been the case since the end 2016. Since you use PV insights as a source for your presentation, I assume you trust the information they provide.

What am I missing? please explain.

New Message
Please login to post a reply