Massive Black Horse Chromite Discovery

Black Horse deposit has an Inferred Resource Now 85.9 Million Tonnes @ 34.5%

Free

Regional Economic Development
Oral Questions

March 23rd, 2015 / 2:45 p.m.

NDP

Carol Hughes Algoma—Manitoulin—Kapuskasing, ON

Mr. Speaker, during a visit to northern Ontario, the President of the Treasury Board said that the government would not invest in the Ring of Fire project. According to him, the economic conditions are not right.

The Ontario Chamber of Commerce cannot believe it. The government's explanations do not make sense. The government should be encouraging development opportunities, not stifling them. The people of northern Ontario deserve respect and good jobs.

Will the minister support them?

Oral Questions

2:50 p.m.

Kenora
Ontario

Conservative

Greg Rickford Minister of Natural Resources and Minister for the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario

Mr. Speaker, our government remains committed to developing the Ring of Fire.

Last week, with my provincial counterpart, I had the pleasure of announcing a study on a service corridor for the regional community, which will support mining and increase accessibility for first nations communities. We will continue to work closely with the Province of Ontario on infrastructure projects that support mining and increase accessibility for remote communities.

Oral Questions

NDP

Carol Hughes Algoma—Manitoulin—Kapuskasing, ON

Mr. Speaker, the reality is that the President of the Treasury Board was in northern Ontario last week to lecture northern businesses about why he does not think the Conservatives should do anything to unlock the potential of the Ring of Fire. Northern Ontarians and first nation communities, already fed up with the delays, were not amused. The Ontario Chamber of Commerce called the minister's comments perplexing and underlined that Conservative delays are holding up thousands of jobs for northern Ontarians.

Does the Minister of Natural Resources agree with his colleague that northern Ontarians should take a hike?

Oral Questions

Kenora
Ontario

Conservative

Greg Rickford Minister of Natural Resources and Minister for the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario

Mr. Speaker, it is the northern Ontario NDP members that northern Ontarians want to take a hike. Let us be clear about that.

We remain committed to supporting the province in its development of the Ring of Fire. Most recently, I was joined by my provincial counterpart at the world's largest mining conference in Toronto to announce a regional community corridor study in the Ring of Fire. This is a major step forward for first nations and for the region.

Sadly, the New Democrats vote against this and in fact any measures that support or reflect the values or priorities of northern Ontarians.

New Message
Please login to post a reply