Free
Message: Can lithium-ion batteries power an airplane? NASA's answer: Yes, indeed!

Pavel:  "In case of trucks and likely plains, the batteries are not optimal (unless of course some magic chemistry will deliver energy density 20x better than current)"

Pavel, you missed the whole point of my post.  It is almost as if you are attacking the concept of EV commercial aviation in a context where it was being promoted as transcontinental electric commercial aviation to rival the current use of transcontinental jet passenger traffic.

Refocus, Pavel!

The future of electric powered 100% aviation in commercial passenger transportation is real and it will be applied to subregional to subregional airport connections... short hop aviation.  The constraints you mention are real and the niche where 100% electric powered aviation recognizes the limitations imposed by the physics and physical constraints therof, but, at the same time, the plan is to explore that niche that does exist to its fullest extent possible and open up a world of short hop transport that is economically not feasible for jet planes that use fossil fuels, but is, at the same time, ideal for the advantages brought to play by electric powered commercial aviation.

I don't believe you are seeing this clump of trees because of the overall  forrest that is obsuring your sight.

The potential for short hop aviation is nowhere better illustrated than the example I gave you about its future in Norway, but it isn't limited to the unique situation found in Norway by any means.  Take off your blinders and examine the short hop niche that I have previously described.  It will be filled with electric powered commercial passenger planes and VTOL aircraft before the end of this decade.  You may even see applications of this technology in your own country, Austria, but certainly it will be applied in many other short hop situations in Europe besides that unique geographical situation in Norway.

A jumbo jet uses around 5,000 gallons (almost 19,000 liters) of fuel to take off and climb to cruising altitude. This is about a tenth of its entire fuel capacity.

https://www.wikimotors.org/how-much-fuel-does-a-jumbo-jet-use-in-takeoff.htm#:~:text=A%20jumbo%20jet%20uses%20around%205%2C000%20gallons%20%28almost,five%20gallons%20%2819%20liters%29%20of%20fuel%20per%20mile.

https://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_fuel_is_used_for_jet_airplanes_to_take_off

A commercial jet is most inefficient during take off and this limitation along with the fact that the longer the jet flies the more efficient is the engine ( influenced of course by the fact that the airplane is lighter in weight as it burns more fuel).  This situation combines to make short hop flights less efficient for a modern commercial jet transport and, at the same time, opens up that area of commercial aviation to alternative powered commercial flight... such as the area that will be filled by electric powered commercial short hop planes.

I believe the argument for this commercial aviation niche is well documented to those who will open their eyes.  Of course, to those who refuse to "see" this potential then nothing will open their eyes.  Facts are worthless if a person refuses to examine them.

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply