Free
Message: Check the price of lithium in many different forms such as battery grade lithium carbonate, battery grade lithium hydroxide, etc.

HC Andersen:  Thank you for your post, and it is correct to scare stories, there are many of them, but not here in the Nordics

HC, I am going out on a limb and making a prediction for 2024 and 2025 here in the U.S. regarding BEVs.

I believe that in the U.S. and possibly Canada as well, the push for adoption to all BEVs had been too premature.  I think that the horror stories here about people's cars being stranded due to impaired performance of the batteries in very cold weather have dominated the news and have been fueled by "Journalists" who only check the direction of the wind on any subject before they create an article about that subject.

My prediction for this year and next year is that we will see renewed attention by the major car manufacturers here in North America to the bridging technology and that they will follow the path taken by Toyota for decades now:  they will return to the bridging technology of the Hybrid whereby the vehicle incorporates to one extent or another both ICE and BEV technologies in the same vehicle.

Specific Prediction....... (drum  roll)...... I believe GM will announce a return to manufacture of the Chevy Volt.

The potential car buyer here in North America has been saturated, supersaturated actually, to so called "Journalism" about the failure of the BEV to negotiate severe Winter weather conditions and I think that for a while, not permanently, a large number of them will have a negative bias to going pure electric.

In the long run this will change and a big part of the future market for BEVs here in North America will be those individuals who eventually will plan on having both a BEV and an ICE vehicle OR a BEV and a Hybrid vehicle.  Of course, that eliminates a signifiicant portion of the market, in theory but not in fact.  As you mentioned there are continuing improvements being made by battery makers and the progress in that area will impact both the higher end BEV market over time and also the lower end, more economical BEV market, that is just beginning to take shape here in North America.

In the long run the market for pure BEVs here in North America will bounce back and when it does the "Journalists" will again see which way the wind is blowing and at that time give their blessings and claim that it was they who actually predicted the shift in the wind back to BEVs since they have always had the power of pontification and the natural gift of omniscience... at least in their own mind.

Anyway, that is my "prediction".  It isn't worth the cost of a cup of coffee, but as the price of designer coffee keeps going up here in North America it won't be long until a coffee drinker has to take out a bank loan to indulge in their favorite designer beverage, eh?

Onward through the FOG!

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply