HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free

I noticed this news today from Cliffs. I pasted the info below. I find two things interesting.

First the technology seems wonderful for finding "goods". I posted the link below for the technology info. The next thing was the mention of the Strategic partners of GEDEX....one being Rio Tinto.

I have been wondering for some time WHY Rio would spend 10 million dollars (not a small sum of money) in Sudbary. Why?? I pasted the NR from Nov. 26, below. This is Rio Tinto's 5th location for a long term research centre. Three of them are in Australia, one in London. When you look at where they have mines you understand the 3 in Australia and the one in London. But why Sudbary. Why??Look at their North American operations. Look at Canada. What do they have in Canada? next to nothing. One small thing going on in yellowknife?Why invest the money here?? Unless you are doing something down the road...here. I still remember quite well that Rio Tinto, along with Vale, BHP, Xstrata all signed confidentiality agreements with Noront back in the Richard Nemis days. Apparently the agreements are no longer in existence. Regardless of this, these companies were interested in Noront back then and I am sure they still are.

Dec. 7, 2010

Gedex, Cliffs Natural Resources complete strategic agreement

EBR Staff WriterPublished 07 December 2010

Subsurface imaging technology company Gedex has completed a strategic agreement with Cliffs Natural Resources Exploration.

The agreement provides Cliffs, a mining and natural resources company, with global access to Gedex's airborne HD-AGGO subsurface mapping system along with Gedex's other strategic partners.

Cliffs North American Exploration general manager Sean Whiteford said the company believes that Gedex has the technology and team that can significantly advance Cliffs' exploration efforts.

Gedex CEO Keith Morrison said that the company will help Cliffs to enhance its competitive advantages in the search for and discovery of resources.

===================================================================

The link below tells you what is special about this device besides the fact Rio Tinto is a strategic partner to Gedex.

http://www.gedex.ca/What_is_special_about_the_Gedex_HD-AGG.html

======================================================================

Rio Tinto will spend C$10m on Sudbury underground mining research centre
26th November 2010

TORONTO (miningweekly.com) – Diversified miner Rio Tinto will invest C$10-million over five years to set up a Centre for Underground Mine Construction in Canada, the group announced late on Thursday.

The new facility will be based at the Centre for Excellence in Mining Innovation (CEMI) in Sudbury, Ontario, and will focus on innovative rapid mine construction and ground control for mining at depth, Rio said in a statement.

The work with the CEMI will help Rio in developing new excavation systems, focusing on improving the construction and operation of underground mines.

As part of the programme, the Anglo-Australian mining group will conduct a full-scale performance verification trial in 2012, at the Northparkes copper and gold mine in New South Wales, Australia, as the first of three new underground excavation systems.

“In order to satisfy the global demand for minerals we will need to go deeper to access new resources,” commented Rio Tinto head of innovation John McGagh.

“By partnering with CEMI, Rio Tinto is supporting research into high-speed underground mine construction.”

CEMI will work on developing and designing new support methods for different excavation systems, establishing reliable predictions of rock behaviour to ensure effective construction technologies are chosen and used, advanced rock mass characterisation technologies, the performance of mechanical rock excavation based systems from an equipment and ground management perspective and work on pillar design and underground excavation stability projects such as rock fracture modelling.

The new centre’s research into high speed underground mine construction will include implementation of mechanised tunnelling and shaft sinking systems and CEMI will help with the development of innovative support systems and in minimising the risks for these technologies, Rio Tinto underground innovation GM Fred Delabbio said.

The new Sudbury centre will be Rio Tinto's fifth long-term research centre around the world, joining the group's Centre for Mine Automation at the University of Sydney, the Centre for Advanced Mineral Sorting at the University of Queensland, the Centre for Materials and Sensing at Curtin University in Perth and the Centre for Advanced Mineral Recovery, which is a collaboration with the Imperial College in London.

Edited by: Liezel Hill

New Message
Please login to post a reply