HIGH-GRADE NI-CU-PT-PD-ZN-CR-AU-V-TI DISCOVERIES IN THE "RING OF FIRE"

NI 43-101 Update (September 2012): 11.1 Mt @ 1.68% Ni, 0.87% Cu, 0.89 gpt Pt and 3.09 gpt Pd and 0.18 gpt Au (Proven & Probable Reserves) / 8.9 Mt @ 1.10% Ni, 1.14% Cu, 1.16 gpt Pt and 3.49 gpt Pd and 0.30 gpt Au (Inferred Resource)

Free

Following comments are my personal and my apology up front if I show a bit of sarcasm on some items in article:
http://www.republicofmining.com/2014/07/23/much-longer-version-of-this-magazine-article-on-ring-of-fire-our-home-and-golden-land-by-andrew-reeves-this-magazine-mayjune-2014/

"At its best, the Ring is a $60 billion, multi-generational opportunity for provincial, federal
and First Nations governments to reap mineral riches from Ontario’s far north"

Just who is to reap the benefits?

From that statement it is not us investors who will probably put up most of the money and possibly all.

Yes the provincial and federal governments do get benefits but it is in the form of taxes. If they want to reap then they better put up most of the money not only for infrastructres but mine developments and operations. Of course they won't.

The native comminities are to benefit from infrastructures that come with development and Jobs.
If they want more then they better buy in.
Resource sharing?
The natives have rights to benefit from hunting and forestry, but do they also own subsurface rights? I suspect not. So what does that make of resource sharing? (Specifically mining.)

After all most of the benefits should go to those that do most of the work. Up to now, neither of the governments nor the natives have done much to develop the region. It takes private interests to do that.

Since I am on subject of that article may I add:
"chromite is especially enticing for miners and government because no other source in North America has been found and most global sources come from politically unstable regions in India and Kazakhstan."
Instead of India it should have been South Africa.

Substance abuse among the natives has got nothing to do with development of the north. All development does is provide easier opportunity for that abuse.
It is a cultural problem that the communities need to adapt to or suffer the consequences and transfer the blame.

Most of the criticizm of the Ring is based on assumption that it will pollute the region for
tens of kilometers around. While caution is justified, exaggerations are not.

My favourite quote, because am Noront investor:
"But many people have independently told me Noront, operator of the Eagle’s Nest nickel and copper mine in the Ring, has been a “textbook example” of how First Nation consultations should be run."

But there is an exaggeration hidden with Noront operations.
"Woodland Caribou, bald eagles or Peregrine Falcons — and their habitat will suffer, to some extent, from the mine construction, a 30 metre road clearance and the digging of a quarry."
Not 'some extent' but to such a small extent that it is not worth a mention. With the exclusion of road the site will not affect wild life habitat further than a few kilometers and that impact will be very small.
The road can not affect further than a few kilometers either side of it. In the vast area that these operations will occur it makes little difference.
Caribou and 100,000 hectares of lost access?. Hardly lost and that is what, o.1% or less of total and it will make a significant difference?
Caribou really avoid human contact and constructions now in Yukon and Alaska, a crock.

Saying pollution and envirinment affected is merely being technically and politically correct, but practically nil. This is not the Tar Sands not Brazilian forest destruction.

As for KWG railway, it is a go over road mostly due to cost, then practicality and only then followed by environmental concerns. Trucks not only cost more to transport with but there are higher costs added on due to road maintenance vs rail, more noise and dust pollution and finally logistics.

The article as a whole is a fair write up of what happened. Ed.

New Message
Please login to post a reply