Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

This is the one development I'm really excited about.

I think what POET is developing for memory can only be made with POET. Meaning nobody else could copy the idea using another process.

I believe it uses the thyristor's natural memory qualities to do the job, and I know of no other thyristor-based memory. Thyristors can act like switches that remain on without requiring a current to sustain the on position. Transistors switch off when the power is removed, excpet in flash memory where an additional gate traps a charge. to me the thyristor seems more efficient.

More details about the benefits of POET DRAM is described here:

http://www.afsbirsttr.com/Include/Report/SummaryReport.aspx?pk=B87DCBB3-6910-4774-AE41-3EF24F72D4EC&type=TechMall

At the first AGM i attended in Toronto in 2011 I recall Dr. Taylor explaining that POET memory could be made volitile, like typical RAM that erases when power is removed, or non-volitile, like flash memory. POET memory could do this on the fly, which says to me that POET could act as both a SSD and RAM in a device, realocating the function of the storage on an as-needed basis.

I believe that Lee Shepherd was heard to say that a typical Smartphone has 8 chips on it and that POET could put all the functionality on one chip. Imagine processing, RAM, non-volatile Storage (SSD), radio, etc. all on a single chip!

New Message
Please login to post a reply