Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Moska, while I like your idea of a competition, something like the first commercial space vehicle idea, there are big differences between the two. First off, it is important to understand the concept of the thyristor needed for our application. A thyristor is essentially a device that is a sandwich of 4 alternating layers of positive and negative materials. It acts as a bistable switch (bistable just means a circuit that has 2 stable states). All of this is being constructed at microscopic dimensions (something akin the carving your initials on an atom. Presently, the claim of three position thyristor stability is remarkable. Four position is on the very edge, and/or possibly just beyond the realm and capability of present technology. Hence the "work around" solution. Unfortunately, changing the switching device requires redesigning the chip for different signal (voltage) requirements and the result would be a degradation of the overall performance level of all aspects of the platform. So, the work around requires lots more money for R&D (optimization cycles) and is not really the monolithic platform as envisioned by Dr Taylor.

In order for the monolithis design to be what it was designed to be the 4 terminal thyristor is required and that is going to take millions of dollars in R&D lab work to "invent". So despite claims back at THM that it is now all engineering and not innovation, the truth is that further innovation IS required and therefore a very well financed partner, with a lab, is necessary at this point to complete the original platform design.

The problem is bigger than what PoET can handle in their current finacial postion and I commend management for making this sound finacial decision to direct the remaining "on hand" funds toward the more attainable InP goal at this time while at the same time seeking out a JV partner (we have the IP, you have the money...let's talk) to complete the GaAs platform.

If any other of the engineers who post here can make the layman explaination easier, I would welcome it!

New Message
Please login to post a reply