Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Regarding Rockley:

I agree with Shash and Oz (posted in the off topic forum).

Shash: Reading carefully, Rockley is now shipping "prototypes" to customers and if they pass the litmus test, then products containing this tech will begin to be manufactured on a curve which will, hopefully, be exponential.

Oz: Dr. Rickman is holding back again, providing no technical specifications, he’s story getting old. Oh well maybe at SPIE Photonics West Expo Feb 5 – Feb 7, 2019 he will deliver.

A basic question that has not been answered. How does Rockley connect a laser to  the silicon?

This  could  be an answer that did not occur to me when I initially  read the last POET presentation transcript.

Suresh:

A word on Silicon Photonics which is another competing integration platform for photonics integration. The Optical Interposer platform not only provides a versatile chip-scale assembly platform for photonics in general, but it is also compatible with more conventional silicon photonics solution. This has opened up a new opportunity for silicon photonics-compatible component-integrated waveguide solutions in addition to fully integrated optical engine solutions. Our waveguide integrated active indium phosphide devices that has detectors or lasers which are a critical component of the Optical Interposer platform are also directly compatible with conventional silicon photonics technology. The vast majority of today's silicon photonic solutions do not integrate lasers at wafer scale. Relegated to a die scale assembly, the true merits and cost advantages of wafer scale integration are lost. POET’s waveguide integrated active indium phosphide components that are developed as part of its Optical Interposer platform solutions provide a light source that can be integrated into silicon photonics devices, enabling cost advantages of wafer scale integration.

The following clip provides some good information by Dr Rickman presented at SPIE Photonics West 2018. Dr Rickman used to be the Chair at Kotura before it was acquired by Mellanox in 2013. Coincidentally Jean-Louis Malinge who was appointed as a director at POET in Sept 2017 was the CEO.

Bigger is  better is  a reference to building very large waveguides in silicon to  reduce losses, increase power transfer capability and reduce impact of size deviation causing wavelength shift. It is an understanding that is well known within the industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx7m_EJMBXQ

.........................................................................................................

I had meant to highlight the following quote yesterday but got sidetracked.

From an article posted by Stubbel in the off topic. A quote from the CEO of SilTerra

when you order the equipment, it will take six months to arrive and another three months to qualify.

As many here will recall POETs equipment at Silterra was installed and commissioned in just over 2 months after the deal was announced. If the statement above is  accurate then the equipment would have been ordered 7 months before the deal was announced. Who knows…it caught my eye.

New Message
Please login to post a reply