Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

That’s good Krom. Whatever will be will be. I am sure it is complicated with a number of circular arguments taking place to ensure the proper order of steps forward are achieved in this  game of chess. The bottom line for me is that nothing they do should impact the ownership of this technology at this point in time. My hope is that full development can be allowed of all applications under POET's complete ownership. This platform has all the elements that make it applicable for the long run. It achieves so many benefits over existing silicon photonics that has been in development for decades.  

Interestingly when we consider the excellent tutorial that Oz provided on fully-depleted silicon-on-insulator (FD-SOI) which Global Foundries pioneered at 22nm it offered numerous advantages over bulk silicon. None of which are available to monolithic efforts in silicon photonics. Ayar Labs has identified a “zero-change” process at 45 nm/32 nm SOI. That is a really are hard act for photonic element integration at such small nodes in so many ways. So if you are going to integrate all but the lights sources at these nodes all the improvements since those nodes were developed are left behind and that gap will continue to widen.

The degree of wavelength accuracy becomes really difficult the narrower a waveguide has to become in order to fit on a silicon die at such small nodes. Wavelength error is directly proportional to waveguide size deviation.

Consider this. Single mode fiber is 9000nm in diameter or about 1/10th of a human hair.   If you are building waveguides at 1000nm a deviation of 1 nm in the width of that waveguide creates and error of .001 if a waveguide is built at 100nm that same 1 nm deviation produces an error 10 times greater. And then we have thermal cross talk between waveguides. Don’t get me started on that one.

There is a reason why the big guns have come out with a co-packaged collaboration. Customers want a solution and need to start steering that boat. POET has a vessel that looks really compelling and the man running that ship knows how to develop leading edge technology. We are on the right path people and this ship is getting ready to sail.

It is a busy day for me today so have a good weekend and stay patient. The universe will unfold as it should.

And before someone starts talking about rose coloured glasses here is an interesting fact on the origins. Tiny rose coloured classes (goggles) were built for chickens to prevent them from pecking each other. The glasses masked the colour of blood.

New Message
Please login to post a reply