Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

"i thought the year of Poet was 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019, and now 2020?????" posted by Hollydurg.

I thought so too, but then I accepted Suresh's reality that GaAs was too far off commercially. What follows is my opinion and self-assessment of what I think really happened over the years. The problem was two-fold and perhaps three-fold. As compelling that the technology was there were still too many obstacles. Suresh came aboard and assessed that reality. Had he not done that, Poet would probably not be viable or around today. There was the 4th pin issue. Then there would likely be incompatibility issues as GaAs were not desired by Poet's potential customers to be discrete products inside theirs. Taking that customer requirement into account, the resistance towards adopting Poet might have been too great or costly to take on. Poet's customers would have probably had to revamp their entire product lines. That is why they asked Poet for a complete solution. To do that, would be too costly for Poet to do as they would likely have been diluted to high heaven trying to raise money.

Poet's solution was, as identified by Suresh, to go for the lower hanging fruit to commericial viability. That still does not mean that Poet won't try GaAs in the future, but Poet needed to get closer to revenue. They choose plan B to follow the InP path and came up with the OI (Optical Interposer). This would provide compatibility for discrete products to the non-GaAs spectrum. Could Copetti have done that? No. But he brought in Ajit Manocha who filtered through his rolodex and brought Suresh aboard. The rest is history now. Poet is closer to commercialization than ever before. Has it taken time? Yes, a long time when you look at Poet's history from its inception. Under Suresh, Poet transititioned between 2015 to 2017. Then as they integrated BB Photonics and Denselight into Poet, the synergies combined to create the scenario we find ourselves in today. We are past vision, concept, and hope now and from 2017 until now, a lot of work was done by Poet to jump into opportunities now that were once a vision. The reward (the prize) is still large, as the markets for Poet that are in need for OI are huge. Does Poet have what the market needs now to take IT to the next level? That is the billions' dollars question.

Monolithic

New Message
Please login to post a reply