Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Ohiotom: " I think it's reasonable to assume that manufacturing for our customers in China could be a deal breaker because of the many uncertainties"

I'm not exactly sure where we disagree Stan.  We both are aware of Xi's recent statements about how China needs to gain self sufficiency regarding tech and other economic aspects of life.  China has a long history, although recent if referring to the thousands of years total of Chinese history, of using technical achievements made in other countries in order to improve the ability of China to compete with the West. 

I took the comment from Ohiotom to mean that the possibility of a "dealbreaker" might have an adverse effect on the POET side of the deal, not the Chinese side, but that was just a personal interpretation.  Ohiotom just remarked that it "could" be a dealbreaker and he formulated that possiblity in the context of what he judged to be "many uncertainties".  I definitely agree with Ohiotom in that regard:  I believe there are many undertainties.

On the other hand, POET is, after all, a Canadian company and not a U.S. company, so political winds of change here in the U.S. may not blow as strong when directed at Canadian-Chinese enterprise.  2021 will probably pull back the curtain on that drama a little more clearly.

Both the U.S. and China are, for the moment at least, intent on improving their own abilities to compete worldwide and to, as much as possible, develop their own essential resources to promote that end.  I think you and I would agree that any business deal by China with a foreign country or company is going to, as much as possible, result in the most benefit for China.

At any rate, respectful disagreements are the blessing of Agoracom membership.  Thank you, for your opinion and congenial expression of same.   Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply