Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

gerem1, I as many of the long timers here have known Kath for quite a while. She is not afraid to speak her mind and make observations and she is good at it. I have seen her in action at AGM's and I must say she is trusted by all of us that know her. So I would suggest that you listen to what she has to say as many of us do here. She was not berating anyone. Her observations are well placed.

I care about this forum and the people on it who have been here for so long and have participated in the ups and downs with grace. And we have seen the waves of negativity that historically appear after a move in the share price. Those activities appear to be motivated by new people timing their trades which may or may not always be the case but it is frustrating to see it in action.

And on that note I have noticed that one of the most objective people here in my opinion is no longer a hub leader. Please everyone give Shash the stars she deserves for her hub leadership here.  

So let’s talk about a subject I am much more comfortable with and why we are all here. And please if you are new to this forum try to walk softly for a while until people get to know you.

I have placed the transcript of the latest management discussion on the world’s first DML flip chip in the link library. Thanks ITTR and Rogue.

In this presentation Suresh talks about POET’s technology roadmap and how it establishes priorities to both meet industries needs and demonstrate the flexibility and capability of the optical interposer.

[29:10, SV] Yeah, I believe what we’re doing is… Look I think in order to succeed we don’t want to overreach and overstretch. So, we’ve been very articulate about our roadmap. And we’re sticking to that. We do think that forms a good underpinning to our business plan. I think Vivek has presented this at the AGM in August and we’re executing to that plan. So, the plan allows us to systematically walk before you can run. I think we… well as Vivek said, there’s the technology and the interposer has always had promise with customers. They look at what we’re doing and they say “these guys are working on a different, unique, differentiated, easy-to-understand approach to how photonic devices are assembled and packaged.” But the burden of proof has always been on us to demonstrate across a couple of different applications. And we are slowly getting through these major system-level burdens of proof. For example, “can you do a DML?” Well now we say we can. “Could you do a CW laser with good coupling efficiency” I think a week ago we presented that we could do that. So, we’re slowly getting past these critical burden of proof requirements we had on us. Not at the component level… we had done that a year ago.  But now at an assembled, system level. You know there are these hurdles you’ve got to get through. And so these things that we are releasing now are significant advances to our capability because critical burdens of proof at a system level are now getting solved. And that allows us to get one product out and then we would proliferate beyond that.

So, as far as we know. Again, we don’t know everything that others are doing. But what we have been.. I can just talk from my experience. It is a challenge to do this. But the optical interposer, what it provides is just like a pc board in electronics. Where you put the ICs, resistors, capacitors on it, and you bond it. That’s the type of platform that we have come up with. The waveguides, optical multiplexer, optical demultiplexer, are all laid out on the surface, so these devices go on the surface, which makes it much… ok, relatively speaking, easier to do. Other companies that try to do it… They have to try to dig trenches in silicon and put it deep in, which causes a lot of stress. It reduces the flexibility of.. you know bonding it and aligning it. So yes, I do believe what we have done is very differentiated.

The point I am trying to make with the above statements is that what POET is doing is becoming more predictable.

Why customers like the platform is because they can recognize right away the advantages that the platform offers in terms of flexibility to organize both electronic and photonic components. The exceptional optical connectivity of the optical interposer in combination with very high speed electrical interconnection is exciting for them. It is easy for them to see that this technology offers a really exceptional pathway to new product designs while at the same time reducing risk.

When people design new products at 7nm they need to spend a lot of time and money to get it right the first time or they can break the bank. There is a lot of risk in advanced silicon new product development.  People can use older silicon and improve it with optical integration without breaking the bank and with much lower risk as we apply the More than Moore semiconductor evolution. It is about being clever both in terms of technology development and product design which is exactly what Suresh has talked about in the past.

When I started this post I wanted to talk about the LightBar. I see this as being the starting point for the way photonics are managed in a data center as well as data driven edge applications.

I think it is inevitable that in the future there will be dual element spot network light sources. Highly flexible redundant supply of each required wavelength supplied from central locations that provide accurate zonal temperature control and independent fire protection. The fact that POET has found a high volume, highly efficient means to couple single mode fiber and that signal loss in fiber is extremely low the lasers can be placed anywhere in the plant or anywhere on the site.

The military applications to convert command and control to very low latency systems free of electromagnetic interference and distortion.

It is a brave new world that POET is going to connect with light.

New Message
Please login to post a reply