Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth. Intel has been at this for such a long time. I would suggest we have Vivek or Suresh explain.

My understanding is that Intel remains focused on heterogeneous integration. They are gluing pieces of InP to a silicon wafer and then processing that InP into a laser. I would have serious questions as to what the yield is and how they report. Why has it taken so long for them to reach this point?

That being said we have all the information we need on this forum to assess the benefits of POET’s optical interposer.  

So right off the bat we can say that POET’s architecture has total flexibility to use the best devices produced by industry. The best devices produced in the best material sets for that specific application. Known good die.  Consider that when POET ramps up the number of lasers on their engines how important it is to know that each of those lasers are known to be good before they are assembled into the optical interposer.  

Silicon is not the best material for photonics we know this. POET uses the best material set. As Suresh says “It’s the waveguide”. Everything is built around the waveguide. Thermal management is designed into the platform with separation of thermal signatures. We know that silicon is great for electronics with extremely small feature sizes driven by Moore’s law but that advantage is lost in any monolithic form factor when integrating photonics into the same silicon.    

POET’s going to eventually push the DML limits and probably sooner than we think. But then we look at the ultimate use of the continuous wave laser.  These are as important as a remote laser for co-packaged optics which requires low loss connectivity to fiber. Something Intel does not have any kind of a viable solution for. That info is here on this forum. It has been talked about in detail here.

I have to continue with my outdoor work but I am really surprised how alarmed people here are about Intel. I think we will come to learn that POET is working with some of the best in the business at what they do. In other words an ecosystem is forming because POET’s platform can integrate what different companies excel at.

They will play nice…something we need to  do here. Really looking forward to the OFC wrap up, a lot of people want to play in POET’s sandbox. The applications are pretty much endless IMO.

New Message
Please login to post a reply