Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Small Potatoe: People want a link from Nvidia to Poet, that might be hard to get, but, to optical tranceivers through their supply chain....that might be easier.

I don’t think it’s too hard to find a link from Nvidia to POET. My thoughts on this are as follows:

1. It should be clear that Nvidia will switch the internal connections of its NVLink products to optical. Staying with copper is simply unthinkable. Especially if you consider this paragraph from the LightCounting article, the advantages of optical data communication in this area are simply overwhelming:

Google is also the only company using optical switches to scale up and reconfigure their AI clusters. It has proven to improve the cluster performance, while minimizing cost and power consumption. We expect more companies to adopt this technology in the next 3-5 years.

2. The only question that remains is where Nvidia will source these optical transceivers from. Foxconn seems to be one of their preferred suppliers for this, if not the preferred supplier.

3. Foxconn’s connection to POET is obvious. Let me nevertheless quote from POET’s news release again: “FIT, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of interconnect technologies, will design and supply the high-speed pluggable optical transceivers for delivery to some of the largest end customers in the world.” I for one have next to no doubts that this includes Nvidia.

If you join me in my (and Foxconn’s, and Luxshare’s, and …) belief that POET’s technology is for real, you know that – following the usual development and testing cycles – this thing will pick up speed and be unstoppable.

New Message
Please login to post a reply