Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Re Intel:

Not sure anyone can answer that question without speculation.

I wrote an extensive piece here in June  2021 providing detailed information on light sources. It was a panel discussion on the advantages and disadvantages. At the time Intel’s laser expert discussed the problem they have with coupling. As I recall it was like a 6db loss end to end. POET was already achieving excellent numbers which would probably be in the range of under 2dB end to end.   A proprietary Spot Size Converter has been designed for chip facet fiber coupling achieving facet coupling losses of 0.25dB

https://poet-technologies.com/docs/presentations/VLSI-IEEE%20Symposium%20Accepted%20Paper%20on%20Wafer-Scale%20Hybrid%20Integration%20-%20June%2016%202022.pdf 

From my perspective Intel’s coupling capabilities: I took a look for myself at the most current Intel patents. They are still relying on very deeply etched SOI wafers instead of creating an interposer at the surface. Vivek talked about this when he joined POET…the POET advantage is that everything is done at the surface…Its why people were calling it art. There are no quotes of insertion loss numbers in Intel's latest patent which is unusual from my perspective.

Lumentums quotes their flip chip using surface grating as low loss and it is crap at 70% coupling efficiency. POETs approach is very accurate and obviously they are dialed in with single pass results being industry leading. The attention they are getting I think is going to spread.
It is interesting that Intel is also working with Foxconn.

New Message
Please login to post a reply