A World leader in advanced plasma processes

Being commercialized in multiple applications around the world including plasma torches, Industrial 3D printing powders, aluminum & zinc dross recovery, waste management and defence - 4 US aircraft carriers

Free

Dear Topseeker,

Thank-you for your question.

Please do not interpret the delay in getting back to you as anything untoward with this name.

6K?  We know them well.  They approached us awhile back as their former self looking for help with their reactor. They were known as Amastan until a few months ago (https://www.3dprintingmedia.network/amastan-rebrands-6k-launches-sustainably-sourced-metal-am-powders/).

It is an interesting technology but, in my opinion, with some significant challenges to development and ultimately commercialization.  I do not see them as competition.

The technology is a spheroidization technology based on microwave plasma. It seems similar to the Tekna spheroidization technology, and they definitely seem to be targeting Tekna as their main competitor: “Low OpEx: 99% microwave-to-plasma coupling efficiency, over double that of ICP plasma systems.”

Interestingly enough, their technology still seems to be at a relatively early stage of development which surprises me: (https://www.6kinc.com/about/news/news/press-release/6k-demonstrates-custom-engineered-metal-alloy-powders-for-additive-manufacturing-at-formnext/

Ultimately, I believe, it will have the same challenges as the Tekna technology: potential loss of aluminum in the alloy, difficulty of obtaining uniform spheroidization of all particles at high yield (particles will see different areas of the plasma zone and have different residence time).

A significant challenge to commercialization/profitability is that 6K, unlike PyroGenesis, relies on angular Ti64 powder feedstock to spheroidize which is a huge problem. One challenge is in finding -45/+15µm Ti64 grade 23 material (i.e. < 1300ppm of Oxygen), which is virtually impossible to secure, let alone on a consistent basis.  PyroGenesis does not use hard to find powder as a feedstock, but wire.  At PyroGenesis, we use plasma atomization to convert high purity wire into high purity powder. This method has demonstrated time and again to be the most economical and efficient way to produce spherical Ti64 grade 23 powder that is ideally suited for Additive Manufacturing (AM).

As a side note, allow me to point out that the largest demand from the AM market is from the SLM size cut (namely, -45µm/+15µmt).  As I said, securing -45µm/+15µm angular feedback with sufficiently low oxygen is virtually impossible to obtain consistently.

Hope that helps,

Peter

New Message
Please login to post a reply