A World leader in advanced plasma processes

Being commercialized in multiple applications around the world including plasma torches, Industrial 3D printing powders, aluminum & zinc dross recovery, waste management and defence - 4 US aircraft carriers

Free
AGORACOM NEWS FLASH

Dear Agoracom Family,

I want to thank all of you for your patience with us over the past 48 hours and apologize for what was admittedly a botched launch of our new site.

As you can see, we have reverted back to the previous version of the site while we address multiple forum functionality flaws that inexplicably made their way into the launch.

To this end:

1.We have identified 8 fundamental but easily fixable flaws that will be corrected in the coming week, so that you can continue to use the forums exactly as you've been accustomed to.

2.Additionally we will also be implementing a couple of design improvements to "tighten up" the look and feel of the forums.

Have a great Sunday, especially those of you like me that are celebrating Orthodox Easter ... As well as those of you who are also like me and mourning another Maple Leafs Game 7 exit ... Ugggh!

Sincerely,

George et al

hello Peter, someone posted this article about 6K additives winning a contract with the US military, I remembered the question of 6K had come up before and I copied your response below. I'm guessing this contract is more of a recycling contract and low quality powders are ok for the needs of the contract. do you have any additional insight on 6K as a competitor or the powder market opportunities in general? Thank you for your time, keep up the great work you do!

https://www.metal-am.com/us-government-awards-6k-1-million-for-defence-scrap-recycling/?fbclid=IwAR0oWnh3rHpjkFyck3DzlLxwKlyuIBJj_VvREeCOSEnkcvKzP0lCJyw8xvI

Re: 6K Additives vs PYR
in response to 6K Additives vs PYR by Topseeker
posted on Jan 11, 2020 12:04PM
Use the IP Check tool [?]
Dear Topseeker,
Thank-you for your question.
Please do not interpret the delay in getting back to you as anything untoward with this name.
6K? We know them well. They approached us awhile back as their former self looking for help with their reactor. They were known as Amastan until a few months ago (https://www.3dprintingmedia.network/amastan-rebrands-6k.../).
It is an interesting technology but, in my opinion, with some significant challenges to development and ultimately commercialization. I do not see them as competition.
The technology is a spheroidization technology based on microwave plasma. It seems similar to the Tekna spheroidization technology, and they definitely seem to be targeting Tekna as their main competitor: “Low OpEx: 99% microwave-to-plasma coupling efficiency, over double that of ICP plasma systems.”
Interestingly enough, their technology still seems to be at a relatively early stage of development which surprises me: (https://www.6kinc.com/.../6k-demonstrates-custom.../
Ultimately, I believe, it will have the same challenges as the Tekna technology: potential loss of aluminum in the alloy, difficulty of obtaining uniform spheroidization of all particles at high yield (particles will see different areas of the plasma zone and have different residence time).
A significant challenge to commercialization/profitability is that 6K, unlike PyroGenesis, relies on angular Ti64 powder feedstock to spheroidize which is a huge problem. One challenge is in finding -45/+15µm Ti64 grade 23 material (i.e. < 1300ppm of Oxygen), which is virtually impossible to secure, let alone on a consistent basis. PyroGenesis does not use hard to find powder as a feedstock, but wire. At PyroGenesis, we use plasma atomization to convert high purity wire into high purity powder. This method has demonstrated time and again to be the most economical and efficient way to produce spherical Ti64 grade 23 powder that is ideally suited for Additive Manufacturing (AM).
As a side note, allow me to point out that the largest demand from the AM market is from the SLM size cut (namely, -45µm/+15µmt). As I said, securing -45µm/+15µm angular feedback with sufficiently low oxygen is virtually impossible to obtain consistently.
Hope that helps,
Peter
UNFOLLOWReport Violation 2 Recommendations

3DPRINTINGMEDIA.NETWORK
Amastan rebrands as 6K, launches sustainably sourced metal AM powders - 3D Printing Media Network
New Message
Please login to post a reply