Welcome To The Questerre Energy HUB On AGORACOM

(Edit this message through the "fast facts" section)

Free

http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Province+reverses+position+shale/4145107/story.html

LAC BEAUPORT - After months of assurances that shale gas development is safe – including a suggestion that cows give off more greenhouse gas than shale gas wells – the Charest government reversed its position on Friday.

“The industry is not in control of the situation,” Environment Minister Pierre Arcand told reporters, adding he is “extremely preoccupied".

Gas leaks from an exploration well in Leclercville, southwest of Quebec City in Lotbinière county have changed the minister’s mind.

Talisman Energy Inc. has been trying for several weeks to choke off the leak, which was detected in the fall by Quebec’s natural resources department.

There are 29 exploration shale-gas wells in the province, concentrated between Quebec City and Montreal is areas where there is farming and residential communities.

Arcand said environment department inspectors would be sent to all 29 exploration wells,

But he would not declare a moratorium on shale gas development, as environmentalists, people living near the wells and opposition parties have been asking.

Arcand noted that the BAPE – Bureau d’audiences publiques sur l’environnnement, Quebec’s environmental evaluation agency, is to deliver its report on shale gas development by Feb. 28.

Arcand admitted that the Charest government favours shale gas development, seen as a way to reduce Quebec’s energy imports, but repeated that the premier has said there will be no compromise on health and safety.

“It would be very awkward for me to substitute myself for the BAPE,” Arcand said

“My role is to protect the health and safety of Quebecers,” Arcand said, adding that if shale gas does pose a threat to health and safety “I would ask the Premier to stop this industry.”

“I’m there to ensure there is no harm to health and safety of citizens.

“I have started to ask questions.”

He promised “very close supervision” of the 29 exploration wells, will environment inspectors on hand every day.

Shale gas is extracted from rock by first drilling horizontal wells, then pumping a mixture of water and chemicals under pressure through the wells.

The process, called “fracking,” or rock fracturing, has been described as a mini-earthquake and in the United States has led to contamination of the water table with chemicals and natural gas.

Last week Natural Resources Minister Nathalie Normandeau downplayed the dangers of shale gas, saying the dairy cows emit more greenhouse gases that shale-gas wells.

New Message
Please login to post a reply