Welcome To The Scorpio Mining HUB On AGORACOM

Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section

Free

Top Picks from Jaime Carrasco: Dream Global REIT, Freehold Royalties, and Scorpio Mining

Related Videos

Now Playing
4 : 42
Market Call Tonight - Top Picks
Jaime Carrasco, director and associate portfolio manager at Scotiabank gives his Top Picks; Dream Global REIT, Freehold Royalty, and...
Up Next
4 : 19
Market Call Tonight - Past Picks
Jaime Carrasco, director and associate portfolio manager at Scotiabank talks about his Past Picks; Silver Standard, Veresen, and Ceres...
Compiled by Nicole Siena, chase producer, BNN
5:09 PM, E.T. | May 1, 2015
Investing Ideas

Jaime Carrasco, director and associate portfolio manager at Scotiabank

FOCUS: Resource & Utilities Stocks and REITs

MARKET OUTLOOK:

I continue to advice that assets must be positioned in a combination of four main investment strategies, with consideration in each dependent to account for each client’s investment objective and risk tolerance.

Pensioners have been pushed further up the risk scale because of Central Bank’s low interest rate policy. In this environment a good selection of high dividend paying companies like pipelines, utilities, and REITS, offer great bond alternative yield. These very same policies have been flooding the market with liquidity, inflating investment assets resulting in high priced fixed income and equity assets. While the market continues to rise into a deteriorating global economic reality, the rise in the markets should continue due to global Central Bank liquidity. Considerations in healthcare, high tech, and global blue chips should continue to do well in this environment. However, sooner or later the negative consequences of this massive monetary experiment will be felt, and insurance must be bought by any rational investor. Considerations in precious metals bullion and good quality precious metals producers will offer the best protection and benefit. Lastly, I recommend considerations that are benefiting from areas of true economic benefit such as healthcare, high tech, energy, and participation in regions that are experience faster economic growth. All portfolios have considerations that participate in all these strategies; however they are proportionately allocated to each client’s individual risk return parameter.

In the portfolios I have been re-allocating the REITS to have a greater foreign exposure through participation in the Dream Global REITS (DRG_u.TO), this considerations’ German assets should do well when the EURO reverses, and is paying a healthy dividend to wait. I have also started to raise the stop losses on my U.S. based assets, expecting volatility to continue to rise into the summer and fall due to the slowing global economy. I’m beginning to slowly add to energy through the Freehold Royalty (FU.TO), and feel that the geopolitical reality should continue to support Brent Crude prices. Lastly, on the precious metals front I’m happy to report that our holdings management teams delivered great financial results this quarter, and I no longer hear many calls for $600 dollar gold. Has the wind changed?

My work can best be followed through my LinkedIn account, and I’m always happy to chat on the phone.

Top Picks:

Dream Global REIT (DRG_u.TO -0.4%)

Freehold Royalties (FRU.TO 0.5%)

Scorpio Mining (SPM.TO 0.00%)

Disclosure:

Personal

Family

Portfolio/Fund

DRG_U

N

N

Y