Welcome To The Sherritt HUB On AGORACOM
Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section
Message: Sherritt Publishes Its 2015 Sustainability Report
August 11, 2016
TORONTO, ON August 11, 2016
Sherritt International Corporation ("Sherritt") (TSX:S.TO) is pleased to announce the release of its 2015 sustainability report. The report outlines Sherritt's approach and commitment to sustainability for the period between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2015. The report, which aligns with the Global Reporting Initiative's G4 Guidelines, is only available online at sustainability.sherritt.com.
"For Sherritt, our commitment to sustainability has always been fundamental to the way we work," said David Pathe, President and Chief Executive Officer. "It is core to both Our Purpose as a company and the strategic priorities that will drive our growth over the long term. We will continue to build on our achievements in 2015, as we strive to be an industry leader in sustainability management and performance."
In 2015, Sherritt made important progress in honoring the four commitment areas of the company's Sustainability Framework:
- Providing a Safe and Rewarding Workplace
- Focused on fatality prevention through the introduction of fatality prevention standards, intense investigation of significant potential incidents and increased leadership presence in the workplace
- Increased employee engagement by 11% since the previous engagement survey in 2011
- Operating Ethically
- Completed anti-corruption training for over 50% of Sherritt's global workforce
- Continued the implementation of the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights (VPSHRs) at Sherritt's sites
- Demonstrating Environmental Responsibility
- Received Ambatovy's environmental certificate for the project financing syndicate in recognition of fully conforming with the International Finance Corporation (IFC) Environmental and Social Performance Standards
- Entered partnership agreements with Conservation International and BirdLife International for the management of biodiversity offset areas in Madagascar
- Engaging Shareholders and Benefitting Communities
- Participated in more than 400 community meetings across all operations
- Contributed more than $1 billion in economic benefits to host communities and countries
In 2015, Sherritt was also honored to receive the Syncrude Award for Excellence in Sustainable Development from the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum; as well as the Green Star Award for emergency prevention from the United Nations and Green Cross International.
Sherritt is a world leader in the mining and refining of nickel from lateritic ores with projects and operations in Canada, Cuba, and Madagascar. The Corporation is the largest independent energy producer in Cuba, with extensive oil and power operations across the island. Sherritt licenses its proprietary technologies and provides metallurgical services to mining and refining operations worldwide. The Corporation's common shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol "S".
Source: Sherritt Investor Relations
Please login to post a reply