Welcome To The Silver Shield Resources HUB On AGORACOM

Acquisition, exploration and development of mineral resource properties in Northern Ontario and Mexico with a focus on silver.

Free
Message: SILVER SHIELD COMMENCES DRILLING AT WELSH SILVER MINE

SILVER SHIELD COMMENCES DRILLING AT WELSH SILVER MINE

BURLINGTON, ON, Apr 7, 2011 (Canada NewsWire via COMTEX News Network) --

Silver Shield Resources (TSXV: SSR) is pleased to announce that it has begun a minimum 1,200 metre diamond drilling program at its Welsh Silver Mine in the Elk Lake , Ontario. The drill is presently located to the south of Silver Claim Lake and later it will be moved to the Welsh Silver Mine. Due to the close proximity of the drilling and shallow nature of the Welsh Mine area mineralization the company expects holes to be drilled in 100-200 metre lengths. Phase II drilling completed by the company previously encountered mineralized vein swarming to the south east of the mine. A subsequent small stripping program that was done in the area located these swarms on surface and the company is anxious to drill this area.

With new staking completed in the area by Silver Shield, the Company feels it has secured its position in this area. Upon geological review, certain targets hope to be identified on these new claims and a small number of exploratory drill holes completed.

To aid in the companies already large data base of the mine, a survey of the area around the mine and to the east of the mine is being commissioned. The survey report will identify old markings and elevations , relevant points including the Welsh shaft, shaft southeast of Welsh main shaft the adit to the Welsh Silver Mine and all diamond drill holes. With this survey it is felt the Company can more accurately locate the workings and mineralized areas of the mine on previous technical reports and aid in the new drilling.

Tim D. Towers commented "We are pleased to be back in the Historic Producing "Silver Belt of Ontario". The Welsh Silver Mine and surrounding area has a rich heritage and the company feels in these times of escalating silver, Elk Lake is the place to be. With an expanded claim package around the Welsh Mine, and drilling by Amador Gold (AGX-TSX-V) ongoing on their property in close proximity to Silver Shield, we are enthused and excited for this area play. Our shareholders have been patient and supportive and we look forward to rewarding their patience. I urge all investors to review our original 43-101 technical report on the Welsh Silver Mine. After this drill campaign we will be up-dating our original 43-101."

About the Former Producing Welsh Silver Mine

In 1908, The Welsh Silver Mine shaft was sunk on the #1 vein, to 160 feet and levels established at 75' and 150'. On the 75 foot level five veins were developed, Ag-rich lenses were outlined on these veins, but were never mined. In 1963 Welsh Silver Mines removed a bulk sample from the #4 vein that had an average grade of 22 oz Ag/ton.

Approximately 700 metres southeast of the Welsh Shaft and south of Silver Claim Lake another set of veins occur but in a north-south direction. In 1980 and 1982, 25,568 feet of surface drilling was performed on the Cameron Mine property immediately north of the SSR property. An underground ramp was developed in a southerly direction to the SSR claim boundary by Teck-Lacana in 1983 to prepare the property for production, along with a total of 3,885.5 feet of underground drilling. These veins were shown to extend onto the SSR ground and have been the subject of drilling by both Teck-Lacana and SSR. Recent diamond drilling by Silver Shield has intersected numerous high-grade silver vein swarms e.g. SCL-08-02 (0.15m @ 2,659.5g/t Ag), SCL-08-09 (0.20m @ 2,589.2 g/t Ag) over a 200+m strike length tracing numerous veins south and extending below the thin Cobalt sedimentary cover. The southern extensions of these veins are now covered by the expanded property.

New Message
Please login to post a reply