Welcome To The Silver Standard Resources HUB On AGORACOM

SSO on the TSX, SSRI on the NASDAQ

Free

Silver Standard Resources Inc. (TSX: SSO)(NASDAQ: SSRI) ("Silver Standard" or the "Company") announced today that its operations team has completed several mine and mill enhancements at the Pirquitas mine; and as a result, the mine continues toward delivering 2011 production guidance and long-term, predictable performance.

In March 2011, the tertiary crushing capacity at Pirquitas was upgraded with the installation of a Nordberg HP 500 cone crusher. On April 20, the ball mill was shut down for a re-build of its main gear box to enable the ball mill to operate at maximum capacity. Since recommencing ball mill production on May 3, the plant has produced an average of 4,200 tonnes per day for an effective annual silver production capacity of 10 million ounces at average reserve grades. Furthermore, the Company purchased four new Caterpillar 777F haul trucks to increase mine stripping capacity.

In May 2011, a concentrate marketing consultant was retained to review contract terms for the Company's concentrate sales, and a rotary kiln is being installed to reduce excess concentrate moisture. Both initiatives are expected to improve long-term sales contract terms. Refinements to the Pirquitas concentrate sales contract terms are expected to be complete by the end of 3Q 2011.

In April 2011, silver production was 362,000 ounces prior to the ball mill shut down on April 20. In May 2011, silver production was 843,000 ounces, the second highest single monthly production total to date, and resulted from 30 days of continuously processing average reserve grade ore.

Silver Standard re-affirms 2011 silver production guidance of 8.5 million ounces of silver and 10 million pounds of zinc. Operating costs are still expected to be $9.00 per ounce cash production costs, net of by-product credits, and $19.00 per ounce cash operating costs.

New Message
Please login to post a reply