Free
Message: Trump administration says massive Alaska gold mine won't cause major harm

The Washington Post
Friday, July 24, 2020

Trump administration officials will conclude today that a proposed gold and copper mine in Alaska -- which would be North America's largest -- would not pose serious environmental risks, a sharp reversal from a finding by the Obama administration that it would permanently harm the region's prized sockeye salmon.

The official about-face regarding the bitterly contested project epitomizes the whiplash that has come to define environmental policy under President Trump, who has methodically dismantled many of his predecessor’s actions on climate change, conservation and pollution.

In a final environmental analysis obtained by The Washington Post, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers found that Pebble Mine, which targets a deposit of gold, copper, and other minerals worth up to $500 billion, "would not be expected to have a measurable effect on fish numbers" in the Bristol Bay watershed that supports the world's largest sockeye salmon fishery.

New Message
Please login to post a reply