Welcome To The Taseko Mines Limited HUB On AGORACOM

Building wealth through developing and operating major copper mines

Free
Message: Mine company heads to Federal Court next month to fight rejection of B.C. mine

RELATED QUOTES

SymbolPriceChange
TKO.TO 2.19 -0.04

By The Canadian Press

VANCOUVER - A mining company that filed two applications for judicial review of the federal government's rejection of a $1.5-billion gold and copper mine in B.C. will fight for the project in Federal Court next month.

Taseko Mines (TSX:TKO.TO - News) will ask for both applications to be converted into civil action so it can argue in court that the federal government's decision was unfair.

The company had filed separate applications challenging a report written by a review panel with the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency and the government's decision to turn down the New Prosperity Mine.

Company spokesman Brian Battison says Taseko will argue in court that the environmental review process was flawed and the federal government mishandled its application for the mine that would be located 125 kilometres southwest of Williams Lake.

The government blocked the project earlier this year, citing its potential impact on a lake considered sacred by the Tsilhqot'in (sill-KOH'-teen) Nation, which was recently granted aboriginal title to 1,750 square kilometres of territory by the Supreme Court of Canada.

Taseko is expected to head to court on Oct. 22. (CHNL)

New Message
Please login to post a reply