TYHEE GOLD CORP

(PRESS PROFILE TAB FOR FACT SHEET & UPDATES)

Free

Hi baires, when I had seen the post on Cominco, It brought back memorys of Yellowknife when it was the Gold capital of the north, now were the Diamond capital, and hopefully Tyhee will be the ones to return it back to the Gold Capital again.

I pasted this from the city's website www.yellowknife.ca

City Receives Funding for Con Mine District Geothermal System Feasibility Study

Con Mine District Geothermal System Feasibility Study

The City of Yellowknife has secured $296,000 to conduct a feasibility study to determine if heat in Con Mine can be drawn to the surface and utilized in the community. Funding for the project will be provided by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities – Green Municipal Fund ($142,500), The Department of Indian and Northern Affairs - Target Investment Program ($100,000) and The Department of Environment and Natural Resources GNWT – Energy Conservation Program ($25,000). The City will also contribute $28,500 to the project from the Community Energy Planning Budget.

The objectives of the study will be to determine if energy can be harvested economically from the mine for the purpose of heating within the community. To determine this the feasibility study will attempt to:

• determine how much energy is in the mine;
  • establish how the energy would be used in the community;
  • develop a business case for a specific development; and
  • confirm temperatures and water content by drilling into the mine.

The City expects to have a research team in place to begin the study in early 2008.

Con Mine

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Con Mine Location TerritoryCountry Owner CompanyYear of acquisition History OpenedClosed

Con mine site.
Northwest Territories
Canada
Miramar Mining Corporation

The Con Mine was a large gold mine located in the Northwest Territories, just south of Yellowknife. The property was staked by Cominco in September 1935 in response to the discovery of visible gold nearby. The advent of winter prevented any prospecting from being conducted, but work in the summer of 1936 led to the discovery of numerous gold veins. Con Mine entered production in 1938 and ceased operations in 2003. It has produced over 5,000,000 ozt (160,000 kg) of gold from 12,195,585 tons of ore processed.

Owners of the mine have included Cominco (1938-1986), Nerco Minerals (1986-1993), and Miramar Mining Corporation (1993-2003).

Con Mine is within the Kam Group which is part of the Yellowknife greenstone belt.

Coordinates: 62°26′20″N 114°22′18″W / 62.43889°N 114.37167°W / 62.43889; -114.37167

[edit] Future Prospects

The defunct mine's deep shafts pose the possibility of extracting geothermal energy for greenhouse-free heat generation. The mine has the potential to heat half of the city of Yellowknife. [1]

[edit] External links

[edit] References

This Canadian Northwest Territories location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
v d e
New Message
Please login to post a reply