...We Welcome You to the Zenith Epigenetics Hub withIn The AGORACOM COMMUNITY!

Zenith's BET Inhibitor ZEN-3694 is Currently Being Evaluated in Multiple Oncology Clinical Trials

Free
Message: Back to the draw­ing board for triple-neg­a­tive breast can­cer tar­gets, re­searchers pro­pose new com­bo ap­proach.

Back to the draw­ing board for triple-neg­a­tive breast can­cer tar­gets, re­searchers pro­pose new com­bo ap­proach.

posted on Mar 28, 2020 06:13PM

The MY­CN pro­tein, some­times dubbed N-Myc, has long been stud­ied as a tar­get in neu­ronal or neu­roen­docrine tu­mors, but its role in breast can­cer is less clear. It’s dis­tinct from MYC (c-Myc), though the two are be­lieved to af­fect each oth­er.

Their in­tri­cate re­la­tion­ship would prove cru­cial in ther­a­peu­tic de­vel­op­ment. But the first ques­tion is just how com­mon they are, and ac­cord­ing to the study, the two fam­i­ly mem­bers are “het­ero­ge­neous­ly ex­pressed in sep­a­rate cell nu­clei with­in a giv­en tu­mor in at least 40% of TNBC tu­mors.” In fact, the ex­pres­sion of MY­CN ap­peared to in­crease af­ter neoad­ju­vant chemother­a­py, part of the cur­rent stan­dard of care.

The preva­lence gave them enough rea­son to think about how to tar­get it. When the team se­lect­ed a cell line mod­el, they had an­oth­er find­ing that MY­CN-ex­press­ing cells were es­sen­tial­ly more prone to re­sis­tance to PI3K in­hibitors, which block an al­ter­na­tive path­way for tu­mor growth.

Be­cause the MYC fam­i­ly lack cat­alyt­ic do­mains, the team re­sort­ed to epi­ge­net­ic reg­u­la­tors, screen­ing 158 com­pounds against the cell lines. BET drugs, which block the bro­mod­omain (BRD)-con­tain­ing fam­i­ly of tran­scrip­tion­al reg­u­la­tors, emerged as the win­ner.

It echoes an ear­li­er study, done at Michi­gan State Uni­ver­si­ty, show­ing that the ex­per­i­men­tal class of mol­e­cules can pre­vent the growth of breast and lung can­cers.

https://endpts.com/back-to-the-drawing-board-for-triple-negative-breast-cancer-targets-researchers-propose-new-combo-approach/

New Message
Please login to post a reply