Newmont Mining Corporation

United States, Australia, Peru, Indonesia, Bolivia, New Zealand & Mexico

Free

Northern Persistence
Challenges Notwithstanding, Nunavut Explorers Persevere
By Greg Klein

See Part I of this story.

Nunavut’s mining future might have seemed grim indeed when Agnico-Eagle TSX:AEM applied a $644.9-million write-down to Meadowbank, the territory’s sole operating mine. Newmont’s TSX:NEM $1.61-billion write-down of its Hope Bay Gold Project would seem to validate pessimism. Yet Nunavut mining has flourished in the past, and rising commodity prices have brought renewed interest in past-producing operations. Meanwhile, a new strategic alliance offers hope for largely unexplored lands.

Undeterred by its Meadowbank disappointment, Agnico is pushing its Meliadine Gold Project towards 2017 production. But if Elgin Mining TSXV:ELG keeps to its timeline, it will re-open the Lupin Gold Mine by Spring 2014. Located 400 kilometres north of Yellowknife, the mine was shut down by Kinross TSX:K in 2005 after producing 3.34 million ounces. Production, however, was sporadic. The mine was opened October 1982, shut down January 1998, re-opened April 2000, shut down again August 2003, re-opened March 2004 and shut down yet again in February 2005.

Read the rest of this article.

New Message
Please login to post a reply