Western Potash Corporation

Acquisition, evaluation and exploration of potash mineral properties in Western Canada.

Free
Message: City council approves idea to negotiate with Western Potash Corporation

http://www.newstalk980.com/story/20110704/53648

City council approves idea to negotiate with Western Potash Corporation

Reported By Patrick Book
Posted July 4, 2011 - 9:19pm

The city of Regina is hoping to move forward with a plan that would see it sell off wastewater to help a B.C.-based mining company.

Western Potash Corporation wants to use the city's treated wastewater to start a solution mine for potash near the town of Gray in the Milestone area, southeast of Regina.

The company would require 34 million litres a day for its operations should its proposed project go ahead.

How operations work

The company's Dean Pekeski explains the water is pumped underground and used to dissolve the mineral.

"We basically pump the water in and dissolve the potash, creating a brine. Then we pump out that brine to surface where it goes through a process facility of evaporators and crystallizers," he explained to reporters after Monday's city council meeting. When the water evaporates the potash is left behind.

He insists any waste produced will be kept from going into the water supply.

"All potash mines in the province use deep disposal wells to dispose of their process water. Certainly there will be some tailings containment but those are ultimately going to be dry. There will be no discharge of waste process water back into the surface environment."

Regina's wastewater recommended

Provincial water company SaskWater recommended the company use Regina's wastewater, which is normally treated before being released into Wascana Creek. The company's request amounts to about half of the wastewater that is normally released.

Western Potash would build a pipeline that would carry water to its mine. The company is currently going through an environmental assessment and other processes before it can get the go-ahead to construct the mine.

It appears council agrees with Pekeski's assessment that the situation would be win-win. Several councillors spoke about the upside of adding some revenue by selling the water.

The exact terms of the agreement still have yet to be negotiated. Some councillors are also asking what the impact of removing that water from Wascana Creek will be.

Councillor Fred Clipsham doesn't think there would be a risk of the creek drying out, however.

"I don't know that it ever would. I think the information that we were provided with tonight is on the basis of where Regina is at tonight and Regina is going to grow. So I would imagine the amount of effluent would grow as well. I'm quite sure of that."

New Message
Please login to post a reply