Aurelian Resources Was Stolen By Kinross and Management But Will Not Be Forgotten

The company whose shareholders were better than its management

Free

I debated whether I would write this or not. The reason that I joined this site and contribute was because the format would lead to a SANE and orderly discussion of issues around ARU and the FDN deposit. I’m here because I am lucky enough to own a good chunk of ARU stock and would like to get every tidbit of information I can that will help me to decide what to do.

So far it’s been great. We’ve had people contribute by: posting information that I never seem to find on my own; breakdown of trading numbers that I wouldn’t even know how to find; identification of who is playing stock pricing games on Friday’s that was spooking me; reports from insiders that attended major conferences and presentations; and, and a whole lot of people that made me consider that ARU was worth a whole lot more than the $10 or so buck I was going to bailout at. To all those people …. Thanks.

We also know that there are a wide range of investors on here with an extraordinary range of backgrounds. At times I smile because I’m sure I’m reading a post my 14 year old son reflecting upon his ‘extensive’ mining and investing experience. At other times I’m in AWE of some of the postings and the insights that they show. I’m pretty quick with the Thumbs Up button on those.

All the ARU investors here have there own reasons for doing what they are doing. It’s not up to me or anyone else to suggest what they should do. What does it matter to anybody here what an individual wants to do with their shares or what they would like to see happen to the company? In the first case it’s their stock, their money and their situation so they can do with it whatever they want. In the second case they are just expressing their wants or view points. I love seeing viewpoints that I haven’t thought about and the arguments that they use to present their view. The more people contribute the more I learn and hopefully the more likely I am to make the right call.

Now with regard to the “yes they can’ ‘no they can’t’ argument. I’ll use my semi-famous ‘it depends’ answer. We know that mines open and close all the time. In the mine developments that I was involved with I worked for a major mining company. There were only a handful of us that were brought in to assist with the development stage. Most of the design, all the initial mining and shaft/adit/drift/pit development and the surface work were contracted out. In general very little of ANY mine construction/development is done in-house (of course exceptions exist). The mine management teams were hired (from other mines) as the project was being developed and miners hired/brought in from wherever they could be found. So yes it can be done tough employment market or not. If you are willing to pay for it you can buy talent.

As to ‘no they can’t’ or more appropriately ‘it will be very difficult’ ----- all the reasons that were laid out about the cyclical nature of mining, the lack of hiring and the mine closures during the late 80’s and 90’s that has led to a profound shortage of miners and mining personal. Mining and mine management is without a doubt a skill!!!!! Poor design, sloppy mining, bad grade control, lousy process control and dumb mistakes can cost you your mine let alone a lot of injuries and deaths. Mining is a dirty dangerous job and a skill that that can take years to learn and certainly can’t be learned over night. Add to the mix that it looks as if ARU/FDN will be one of several mines being developed concurrently in the same area and the problem of recruiting and staffing will be compounded. There is going to be lots of competition for what talent exists out there.

As to ARU being the one to develop the mine because they have done an amazing job to date we don’t have enough information to make that call. What we do know is that the skills and attitudes to be successful in developing great exploration teams have very little to do with running a mine. Exploration is the free wheeling take a chance side of the business whereas the mining side is ALL about efficiency, control and cost management (think test pilot vs Volvo driver). Many a junior has had to face that reality.

Unless there is a lurker from ARU senior management none of us know which way this is going to go. So let’s not get hung up on what we don’t control and keep this site focused on gathering and sharing information and insight.

New Message
Please login to post a reply