Welcome To The Excellon Resources HUB On AGORACOM

Building Value through Production, Expansion, and Discovery

Free

Excellon Temporarily Suspends Work at Platosa Mine

posted on Oct 07, 2008 01:22PM

Excellon Temporarily Suspends Work at Platosa Mine

OCT 6, 2008 - 15:19 ET

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 6, 2008) - Excellon Resources Inc. (TSX:EXN) today announces that it has temporarily suspended production at the Platosa mine while it seals an unexpected water bearing fault that was intersected by normal mine development on October 4. All appropriate precautionary steps to prevent the resulting water inflow were taken and there were no indications of this water bearing fault prior to the event. The water inflow from this fault exceeded the mine's pumping capacity and as a result water has risen to the natural level of the water table in the mine. No employees were injured and all mobile equipment was brought to surface. Drilling and grouting operations to seal the fault have begun and on completion dewatering of the mine will resume to restore production.

Excellon was already in the process of reviewing the mine hydrology and dewatering plans and has engaged industry recognized consulting hydrologists to assist in the review of the Platosa mine hydrology and dewatering plans.

"Although the Platosa Mine is currently not very deep, we are working below the water table and have to deal with some water bearing faults and unfortunately we had no indication of this particular fault. However, we are responding to this situation in a timely and appropriate manner and are in the process of strengthening our understanding of the hydrology and mine dewatering plan to prevent this from interfering with future production," said Peter A. Crossgrove, Excellon's chairman and acting CEO. "Most importantly, no employees were injured and we are focusing on resuming normal operations as soon as possible."

New Message
Please login to post a reply