Welcome To The Mannkind HUB On AGORACOM

Edit this title from the Fast Facts Section

Free

One thing that I wonder about and apparently so does Simos is this.In order to improve A1C's they are increasing the Basal doses.In the past when there was Hypoglycemia in the trials, Al said judging from the time that they occurred, the Basal insulin appeared to be the cause.I know that they are monitoring it closely but you sure would think they would now be having more problems with Hypo's.

After typing the paragraph above,I dug a little deeper.This appears to be how they are dealing with that...

Operator

[Operator Instructions] The next question comes from Steve Byrne from Bank of America.

Steve Byrne - BofA Merrill Lynch, Research Division

I wanted to better understand 171. In the titration phase, are there adjustments being made to both the AFREZZA dose and the basal insulin dose targeting the blood glucose levels at different time periods during the day?

Robert Baughman

Yes, this is Bob again. During the basal optimization, we're focusing there under basal insulin. But then, once randomized, we're putting them into a titration period, a 12-week period where we're focusing on the prandial insulin but we continue to monitor fasting blood glucose. So if it's necessary to keep that at the appropriate level, we will elevate or decrease the basal insulin as well. So again, that first period of 4 weeks is focusing on the basal, the next 12 weeks is on prandial, but with adjustments as necessary, so that the final 12 weeks, they are on stable insulin dosing.

Steve Byrne - BofA Merrill Lynch, Research Division

And how do you view the potential impact of this type of titration versus the conventional prandial insulin on weight gain?

Robert Baughman

All of our data to date says that AFREZZA has minimal impact on weight gain. Because of the pharmacokinetics of the drug, we are not having to "feed the insulin later on after the meal." So in this case, because by 2.5 to 3 hours, the insulin from AFREZZA is now gone, we do not have to continue to add calories to control their potential hypoglycemia. So we're very comfortable with where we think we'll end up with weight gain or the effect on weight gain in the patients on AFREZZA.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/971551-mannkind-management-discusses-q3-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript?find=hypoglycemia&all=false

New Message
Please login to post a reply