Welcome To The Sabina Silver Corp HUB On AGORACOM

Moving to Feasability

Free
Message: Glencore might have mothballed the Hackett River project

In my message from December 27, i wrote "My question is; is there anything that suggests that Glencore has mothballed the Hackett River project at this time, as I haven't been able to find anything?"

To answer my own question, I assume that that is in fact the case now! I suppose that's why SBB dropped like a rock in Q4 2014. Someone was well informed, and now we are too...

From the article: The project’s draft EIS was originally due this December, but now Glencore says it can’t say when that will happen.

“Developing a project of this nature is a complex task and we continue to evaluate this project from a number of angles so that we can maximize the socio-economic benefits while minimizing any potential environmental impacts,” Glencore’s Michel Boucher wrote to the Nunavut Impact Review Board this past October.

NEWS: Nunavut December 31, 2014 - 11:30 am

Glencore delays submission of Hackett River DEIS

Mining company points to volatile metal prices, delays draft environmental impact statement

NUNATSIAQ NEWS

Glencore’s Hackett River zinc-silver project is located about 75 kilometres southwest of Bathurst Inlet. (MINING.COM IMAGE)

Volatile metal prices have delayed the submission of a draft environmental impact statement for Glencore’s proposed Hackett River mine, a zinc-silver project based in Nunavut’s Kitikmeot region.

News from the project, located about 75 kilometres southwest of Bathurst Inlet, has been slow to come since the mining company bought the Kitikmeot properties from Sabina Gold and Silver Corp. in 2011.

The project’s draft EIS was originally due this December, but now Glencore says it can’t say when that will happen.

“Developing a project of this nature is a complex task and we continue to evaluate this project from a number of angles so that we can maximize the socio-economic benefits while minimizing any potential environmental impacts,” Glencore’s Michel Boucher wrote to the Nunavut Impact Review Board this past October.

Boucher said the delay is due to “uncertain economic growth and volatile metal prices.”

The Hackett River project includes three main silver-rich zinc deposits: Main Zone, Boot, and East Cleaver, as well as the Jo Zone satellite deposit.

The project is considered one of the largest volcanogenic massive sulfide ore (VMS) deposits in Canada, and possibly the world.

After its purchase in 2011, Glencore committed to invest $40 million into advanced exploration at the site.

At the time, the four open-pit and two underground mines at Hackett River were expected to produce 250,000 tonnes of zinc per year over 15 years, provide 800 jobs during construction and 500 when operating.

The zinc would be shipped out through the Northwest Passage, past Resolute Bay and down the west coast of Baffin Island to Europe.

New Message
Please login to post a reply