Welcome To The 300 Club HUB On AGORACOM

We may not make much money, but we sure have a lot of fun!

Free

Re: Dividends

in response to by
posted on Jan 25, 2009 02:52PM

I'm a big believer in investing in dividend companies.

I lucked out in December and bought a nice bit of National Bank at $25.02 so its almost a 10% tax preferred yield.

I also bought some Yellow pages trust at $6.33 for about a 18.5% yield

I also bought Pizza Delight (PDM.UN) trust at about $6.98 for a greater than 20% yeild.

I was looking at Liquor stores based on the same reasons as cousodor mentioned but I havent yet.

The globe and Mail have a great sort feature on trusts and it will sort them by yeild.

Here is the link: http://www.globeinvestor.com/v5/cont...

Just go to the trust filter and put in what minimum dividend you want to see and it will bring that up.

I would be diligent in learning about the sustainability of the dividend and the overall strength of the company. The high yield oil and gas trusts scare me as I believe they are all going to be doing major cuts to their distributions.

Certain food trusts will likely get hurt with the economic down turn more than others. I think Sir and Prime and examples that will see a decline because they are not low cost. Also, food inflation is likely to start to creep in. I picked pizza delight because its largely a maritime company and they have never really had a boom time so its not likley they will have a major down turn. I was also looking at A&W but thee yield wasnt as attractive.

Many people are concerned about trusts and what will happen in 2011. I believe a number will just remain high dividend corporations. Superior plus just converted to a corp with almost no impact on the stock price. The big bonus, if the dividend is mainitained, it will be at an extremely great tax rate vs a trust.

A cautionary note: I have been fooled by high dividends. I bought too much RBS last year based on the dividend and one analyst report. I am now down 98% on my investment and they dont have a dividend any more. I'm not sure what more research I could have done based on what has happened in that sector. It just goes to show one doesnt want to have to much of one company.

Regards

Ahead12

New Message
Please login to post a reply