Welcome To The 300 Club HUB On AGORACOM

We may not make much money, but we sure have a lot of fun!

Free

Hello abstacey:

It's nice to see so many familiar names still post on Club 300 after our ARU aga was over. One thing I did learn from my ARU experience is: one should never fall in love with a stock. In hindsight we, the old ARU gang, were all guilty of that. Being emontionally involve clouded our judgment. Personally I should never have invested so heavily into one stock, but Kinross did bailed us out, grudgingly, mind you, at that time. It only proved to be a blessing in disguise. Well, that is seemingly so long ago.

Anyway, like most of you I did hold on to the K shares and warrants for a while until I finally saw the light that investments are supposed to generate returns. If there is no further growth in value it's time to move on. This came to me while I had a chat with an old friend who used to build chicken barns as a summer job way back in college. The topic wandered to chicken growth. He said the reason chicken are only keep for seven weeks because after that their growth slow down and it would be a waste of feed to keep them any longer. It's all economics. Well, well, well, itsn't investing the same! That when I sold my Kinross holdings the following day.

I still follow what happens in Ecuador since I have a very small position in CGP - a junior mining company waiting for a permit to drill down there. I was about to sell CGP and lock in my tax losses for 2009, but the news of the mining regulations to be released on November 4 held me back. I guess, like all the old ARU gang, I want to see if there is any closure on issue of mining in Ecuador.

Thanks for the endorsement on EQN, I think copper is the metal play we should follow and not gold. You can look at ABX, G, AEM and NEM. All the big gold miners are basically trading within a range for a long time. For example, ABX is pretty well pegged at $39, and G at $43. The only gold miners with any real SP advancement of late are emerging mid caps like ELD and IMG. Whereas I think copper miners have much higher potential for growth.

Good luck to all the ARU former comrades, hope that we all survive the tsumani of the past few days.

New Message
Please login to post a reply