Welcome to the Crystallex HUB on AGORACOM

Crystallex International Corporation is a Canadian-based gold company with a successful record of developing and operating gold mines in Venezuela and elsewhere in South America

Free
Abandonment and illegality excel in the Manteco
Saturday, 27 of November of 2010

After the implementation of the Caura Plan, the past April, the situation of many of the mining regions of the state Bolivar is quite critical. The town of the Manteco in the parish Pedro Cova, of the municipality To cheep, is one of them, its inhabitants maintain that its right to the work has been done violence to.

Carlos Andres Monsalve

Dora Mountain range feels that their rights to the work have been done violence to. Photo CAM
Upata. - With the beginning of the Caura Plan the past month of April the main source of work in the parish Pedro Cova of the Manteco has been disappearing. A population that by tradition has dedicated itself to the mining operation, which constituted 85% of its commerce, as soon as it is maintained with workings that exclude a great mass of workers, who are themselves forced to gain the life of illegal way to be able to take the sustenance to their homes.

After initiate the evacuation of the mining zones of the south of the state Bolivar, the population of the Manteco seems submerged in a lethargy. The commercial establishments do not count on the same movement of before whereas the unemployed ones are crowded to the doors of the airport of the town with the hope to move to the deposits to exert the unique office that taught to them.

Their inhabitants catalogue of tragic the situation of the parish.

The absence of use and with this the increase of the social problems that already made notch before the arrival of the Caura Plan, darkens the panorama of their settlers, who have noticed with greater force the abandonment of the regional and local authorities that seem not to take care of the outcry of their citizens.

One of the promises of the national Government was to create jobs that replaced the mining activity, like agriculture, cattle ranch and operation of controlled the auriferous material but more, and for want of established projects, to the inhabitants only they have left to recall the moment at which the military did violence to their rights like people and human beings.

Humiliated miners
“I was mistreated, they treated my thousands loss very badly to us then was of almost 300 Bs.F and nobody recognized nothing to me. The camping burned it to me, the food the animal in spite of begging to them that they left the food me for my children did not do it. I have videos on these abuses, but we do not have who listens to us”, limited Dora Mountain range.

This woman like other thousands depended on this work to be able to subsist. One calculates that in the deposits approximately five thousand miners worked, who today, ramble the streets of the Manteco in search of another opportunity.

Before the urgent necessity they are forced to exert the office of clandestine way, always with the latent risk to be shortages. “We have a camping and a group of people we worked who it, but with that half to eat. That is in the mine of Toro Parao, we returned to the illegality because when arrived the military we were conformed in cooperatives, we paid our taxes and nothing of this was respected”, affirmed.

The flights towards the deposits were realised of 10 to 12 times to the day, now as soon as they reach three.

“They do not let to us pass a kilo of rice, but we must survive we are conscious that at any time they take hold to us, they strike to us, but we will take mount by 15 days. Here there is no another form of work”, declared.

Worse the remedy than the disease
From the implementation of the Caura Plan they doubt its effectiveness much. When not seeing support of the State and proposals that allow to generate another type of offices, the workers return the mines although they are in danger to be killed his, since there is no security guarantee and with little that they have they begin to toil.

Elkis Infants, who said to have lived the pressures on the Colombian guerrilla in their youth, affirmed that the evacuation was full of violence and maltratos on the part of the military cash.

“To Practically they robbed us, my restlessness is because they did not inform on the evacuation and they continued receiving imposed. Here they are my receipts, we continued working but under profile and with fear”, it referred.

Infants are conscious that the government did not fulfill the relocation plans, but are prepared to work of joint way with them to make work programs for the purposes of which all leave beneficiaries.

Marilin member Rendón of the mining cooperative the Carpios, assured that the economy of the Manteco has been violated, when after the promises they leave more than 14 thousand people without use and quality of life.

To be made listen

The miners demand the presence of mass media so that they know the reality a town that has fallen in ruins. They allege that the military civil servants hide the truth of the happened thing. They indicated that the presence of the uniformed ones only generated chaos, frights and constant violation to the human rights. The reality, nowadays, strikes to a city that sometimes was mighty, its inhabitants try to survive constantly with all the means its reach remembering the forgetfulness of its governors.

New Message
Please login to post a reply