Welcome To The Golden Minerals HUB On AGORACOM

Golden Minerals is a junior silver producer with a strong growth profile, listed on both the NYSE Amex and TSX.

Free

2009 MOTY AWARD

posted on Jan 04, 2010 07:07PM

AND THE 2009 WINNER IS………

By Adrian Douglas

As 2009 winds down it is time to announce the runners-up and the winner of the coveted "Moron of the Year" (MOTY) Award.

The award is now in its fourth year. Although the MOTY provides some light entertainment for café readers it does also have a more serious intention. It serves to take to task, in a small way, those journalists and public officials who feel they can misinform or lie to the general public and investors alike with total impunity. People who are paid to give information to others have a duty to check what they say is accurate to the best of their ability. But the truth has become largely irrelevant to many of these people; it is an inconvenience that must be "spun" out of the way. I hope that those who are nominated might feel embarrassed enough to pay more attention to what they say and publish.

The award is now getting a lot of media attention. I have been inundated with requests from the major TV networks, but so far I have resisted the temptation to sink to the same level of moral depravity as those in the TV world and sell out such an invaluable service to humanity for some six figure number. I want a seven figure number!

ABC has asked me to adapt the MOTY concept into shows to be called "American Idiot" or "Analyst’s Got No Talent". I would head up a panel of judges, like a Simon Cowell of the gold world and wannabe analysts like Jonn Nadler or Dennis Gartman would be auditioned to see if they have any talent whatsoever to have a hope of one day making it as a respected analyst. When I met with the producers they told me I would have to attend Charm School to be like Simon Cowell! So it may be a while before you see such shows on your cable network.

As in previous years the competition was fierce for who uttered the most moronic drivel with respect to precious metals or financial markets. Coming in at number 10….

Tenth Place: Jonn Nadler, Senior Analyst, Kitco

Last year Jon Nadler got inducted into the MOTY Hall of Fame but this did not deter him as he got off to a flying start with more moronic drivel in just the opening days of 2009:

http://www.commodityonline.com/news/Gold-to-plunge-to-$300-Oil-to-fall-below-$20-13816-3-1.html

In this article he actually gives credence to a list of "surprises" that UBS had put out as predictions for 2009…

After a year like the one that just ended, nothing should surprise anyone, anymore. But if UBS is right we better not let our guard down. They say a few more bombshells could very well drop – but here’s the twist – not all of them are bad! That’s right there could be some upside surprises on the horizon.

Here’s what UBS told CNBC just before Christmas, could be "Some Surprises for ’09".

1) Oil prices fall below $20 per barrel.

2) The dollar falls to new lifetime lows.

3) Global growth is negative for 2009.

4) Gold goes to $300.

5) Corporate default rates don't rise significantly.

"These things may seem unlikely but this year has shown us that unlikely things can happen," says Jeff Palma, head of global equity strategy at UBS Investment Research." Of course these surprises are not forecasts. They’re more like plausible "what if" situations. But, it’s worth noting last year UBS put together the same kind of list and nearly half came true. At the other end of the prediction spectrum, lies India's Commodity Online - it feels that lower supply and higher demand will push gold to $2,000 per ounce. Standard Chartered Plc sees the metal as averaging $985 per ounce this year, and trading closer to $1K by mid-year. And the forecasts keep on rolling in...

END

I don’t have to tell you that gold did NOT drop to $300. And this is not 20/20 hindsight on my part. As soon as this was published I wrote commentary for the Midas Daily commentary that Nadler was living up to his Hall of Fame induction as a prize moron. I also proposed two more possible surprises for 2009 which were

6) The Pope will declare that he is not Catholic and

7) Jon Nadler gets a Nobel Prize for Economics!

How can anyone be the Senior Analyst for a bullion dealer and present gold going to $300/oz as a "plausible what if situation" and also present forecasts of $2000/oz and & $985/oz without weighing in with his own analysis of the most likely scenario? The answer is, of course, if the Senior Analyst is an inductee of the Moron of the Year Hall of Fame!

On October 19 Nadler made the following comment in his daily drivel

Same as the so-called gold price suppression fairytales that permeate the blogosphere…

END

I would like to point out that none other than the enforcement division of the CFTC has been investigating possible manipulation of the gold and silver markets for 15 months. I would suggest that if Nadler has some evidence that dismisses gold price suppression as mere fairytales he should immediately contact the CFTC and tell them what it is because it clearly could save them a lot of time and effort. If he doesn’t have such information he should just shut his mouth (and that’s the polite version!) before he makes himself look even more moronic than he already has done…and believe me the achievement so far takes some beating!

Ninth Place: Jeffrey Christian, CPM Group

Jeff Christian gets a ninth place nomination for the 2009 MOTY for his gold price forecast over the next 10 years….

http://www.reuters.com/article/usDollarRpt/idUSN1440639620090914

DENVER -- Central banks are expected to buy 6 million to 10 million ounces of gold annually due to currency uncertainties after being net sellers in past decades, Jeffrey Christian, managing director of CPM Group, told the Denver Gold Forum on Monday.

In a keynote speech kicking off North America's biggest gold conference, which runs through Wednesday, Christian gave what he said was a conservative forecast for gold to average $914 an ounce over the next 10 years. Spot gold was trading at around $1,000 on Monday.

"What we are seeing is that central banks are making the transition from large net sellers to large net buyers," Christian said.

"You will see a net buying of 6 to 10 million ounces per year by central banks, and that is an extremely conservative projection," he said.

Christian said that European central banks appeared to be done with their gold selling, and that central banks in emerging countries which have been building up foreign reserves were now diversifying into gold due to volatility in the dollar and other major currencies.

Recently China and other emerging economies have signaled growing interest in gold rather than stockpiling their currency reserves in U.S. dollar-denominated assets.

END

Considering the main sellers of gold over the last 15 years have been the central banks one has to wonder who Christian has in mind to replace such huge selling to keep the average price of gold 10% below the price it was trading at when he made this pronouncement! That is not taking into consideration the fact that the central banks are becoming buyers. For such a moronic piece of market analysis Jeff Christian earned himself a ninth place nomination for the 2009 MOTY.

Eighth Place: Robert Prechter, The Elliott Wave

In a reply to a query from Rick Ackerman Robert Prechter penned the following:

I should not be famously bearish on gold. I have said that gold will do better than most commodities but not as well as cash. I also have said, own some gold anyway. The bear part comes in because I have left open the possibility that it can still get to $200/oz. No one else thinks it’s possible. But we have also said all along that once its fifth wave ended oil would fall back to $10. Isn’t it interesting that no one argues for oil, platinum, silver, etc? It’s because gold is the only thing that didn’t crash. But to repeat, this is exactly how I have expected gold to behave on a relative basis. It’s not making anyone rich.

"You don’t have to answer why gold quadrupled off its lows. That happened in the wave 5 commodity boom during the wave b credit inflation. A better question is why gold did so poorly relative to most other commodities, which went up way more (14 times in oil for instance). Another question is why silver lagged its 1980 so badly. The inflationists can’t answer these questions except to keep insisting that $200 silver is coming.

"Another question is how come gold is unchanged after 29 years of inflation?"

END

So there you have it. $200/oz gold and $10/Bbl oil are coming. Jimi Hendrix said that when you hit a bum note if you hold it long enough it will eventually be a good note. I suspect Prechter is applying this principle; but I think even Hendrix didn’t anticipate you could hold a guitar note for 10 years! The real howler is that gold "is not making anyone rich". Bob, it just happens to have outperformed all asset classes in the last decade! I can imagine "Gold will not do as well as cash" could be his epitaph!

Prechter’s call on gold for the last 10 years has been completely wrong. He deserves a MOTY nomination for not realizing there is a statute of limitations on claiming you were right!

Seventh Place: Nico Isaacs, Elliott Wave Financial Forecast

Following in the footsteps of the High Priest of Elliott Wave Theory, Bob Prechter, Nico Isaacs has earned himself a nomination for a 2009 MOTY award for this completely uniformed and moronic drivel:

http://www.elliottwave.com/freeupdates/archives/2009/10/12/Gold-What-s-REALLY-Behind-the-Record-Rise-Bull-or-Bubble.aspx

And, to know whether the bull market in gold is real, it must encompass at least one of these FOUR traits:

A surge in demand that outpaces supply

A falling stock market, which raises the "safe haven" appeal of precious metals.

A real (not imagined) threat of inflation

An increase in value relative to major foreign currencies

Right now, the Gold market can NOT check off a single one of these items. Case in point:

Supply: Demand for gold from jewelry makers – which comprises 60%-70% of the market – has plummeted to its lowest level in 20 years.

"Safe haven" appeal: From its March 2009 bottom, the U.S. stock market has soared 50% right alongside rallying gold prices.

Inflation: As the October 2009 Elliott Wave Financial Forecast (EWFF) notes: An increase in money supply is only inflationary if it is used to RAISE the total amount of credit. This is NOT happening, as both bank credit and consumer credit levels are contracting for the first time since World War II.

A gold rally in other currencies: Again, the October 2009 EWFF presents the following close-up of Spot Gold prices VERSUS Gold denominated in foreign currencies such as the Canadian dollar, the Australian dollar, the euro, franc, pound, and yen since 2007.

The major non-confirmation between these two markets is clear, as is the overlying message: IF demand for gold truly outweighed supply, then its value as measured in other currencies would increase.

The rise in gold is primarily the result of speculation and a falling U.S. dollar. These are exactly the "untenable" forces that contribute to a Bubble, not a genuine Bull market. The difference is only a matter of time.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2009/10/congress-removes-authority-to-ban-abuse.html

Congress Removes Authority to Ban Riskiest Derivatives Trades Because "There Was Concern that a Broad Grant to Ban Abusive Swaps Would Be Unsettling"

According to Bloomberg, the original draft of Barney Frank's derivatives legislation:

would have given the Securities and Exchange Commission and Commodity Futures Trading Commission joint authority to "prohibit transactions in any swap" that they determine "would be detrimental to the stability of a financial market or of participants in a financial market."

Frank has now stripped that provision because it would be "unsettling":

"There was concern that a broad grant to ban abusive swaps would be unsettling," Frank, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, said today as the panel began action on his measure.

END

I fully agree with Barney Frank. I would be totally unsettled and disoriented if I did not get my daily abuse in my portfolio from the Gold Cartel. They need to stop the abusive trades slowly so that we don’t go cold turkey on abuse and go into some sort of seizure as we could probably not take the adrenaline rush of investing in a free market because it’s been so long since we had one!

Barney Frank just earned a nomination for a 2009 MOTY award for that moronic drivel that serves only to protect the banking elite and not the people who elected him.

Fifth Place: Fred Mishkin, Former Federal Reserve Board Governor

This one will have you falling off your chair holding your ribs it’s so funny. You can’t make this stuff up.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aqe8koHXjMrU&pos=5

U.S. Representative Ron Paul’s proposal to allow audits of the Federal Reserve’s monetary policy is "incredibly dangerous" and could stoke inflation, said Frederic Mishkin, a former Fed governor. ….

Paul’s bill "would be very dangerous in terms of promoting inflation," Mishkin said. "If you make the central bank beholden to politicians on a short-run basis, you get very bad outcomes: high inflation and less of the ability to deal with shocks like the ones we had recently." ……

Mishkin called surging gold a "sideshow" and said prices of the metal "move all over the map for many, many different reasons and have very little impact on the economy."

"If gold price movements are reflecting other factors that could be important, you might worry," he said. "For example, if gold is going up because people are worried the Federal Reserve won’t be able to contain inflation, that is serious."

END

What can I say? The chairman of the Federal Reserve has been nominated by TIME magazine as Man of the Year, while Frederic Mishkin, a former FED Governor has been nominated as Moron of the Year. May be TIME magazine should call me and we can compare notes to see if they really meant "Man of the Year"; after all, it is also a MOTY; they could easily have made an honest mistake!

Fourth Place: David Olive, Journalist with The Star

With only three days left for anyone to excel in the production of moronic drivel to qualify for a nomination for the coveted 2009 Moron of the Year (MOTY) award there was a late entry from David Olive of thestar.com

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/742619--olive-don-t-believe-hype-over-gold

He assures us in this piece that gold is in a bubble

For example

U.S. talk-radio yakkers Glenn Beck and Watergate ex-convict Gordon Liddy have become paid shills for gold vendors. On behalf of an outfit called Rosland Capital, Liddy in TV spots describes gold as "an intrinsically valuable liquid preserver of purchasing power."

Bank of Nova Scotia, one of the world's largest precious metals dealers, has launched an online store for sales of Scotia Gold Bars and other gold items. Such is gold's demand among everyday folks, as the Star's Rita Trichur reported last week, that the U.S. Mint has suspended sales of its popular American Eagle one-ounce gold coin for lack of supply. The Royal Canadian Mint has some of its most popular gold coins on back order.

These are all classic "sell" signs.

END

That is complete drivel; but what IS a "classic sign" however is the classic sign of a so called journalist displaying the IQ of a grapefruit by referring to Jon Nadler as a sage!!!

And a few sages finally are beginning to say as much.

Jon Nadler, senior analyst at Kitco Metals Inc., says gold has been riding a "bubble" of "hot air." The Montreal gold expert, noting gold's historic role as a hedge against the world going to hell in a hand basket, warns: "Don't get carried away with scenarios of Mad Max," referring to the film set in an apocalyptic future.

END

But it gets worse:

Gold, truth to tell, is a lousy investment. It pays no dividends and incurs high storage costs. It is illiquid (try paying for groceries with a gold bar). And it's in almost infinite supply.

Central banks and the International Monetary Fund can and do regularly sell off gold from their reserves, flooding the market. Gold producers bring uneconomic mines back into production when a rise in gold prices makes them viable again.

END

That really takes the cake for moronic drivel! I wonder if he has tried paying for groceries with US Treasury Bonds, or Fannie Mae shares! As for the theory of infinite supply that is so moronic it doesn’t deserve any response except to say that he must be referring to "paper gold" and not the real metal!

He did however save the best for last:

Taking inflation into account, gold should now be trading at $2,163.62 to match its previous high. Anyone who bought gold at its historic peak in 1980 is suffering a $1,313.62 loss three decades later on every ounce of gold purchased at that time.

END

This moron claims that gold is in a bubble at the beginning of the article and bemoans its lousy performance by the end! Mr. Olive you have displayed the analytical skills of your namesake and earned a nomination for a 2009 MOTY!

Third Place: Nouriel Rubini, Professor of Economics, NYU

Nouriel Roubini came very close to winning this year’s MOTY Award when on December 15, 2009 he published moronic drivel about gold being in a bubble! Considering he is Professor of Economics at NYU he should know better, but then again, Ben Bernanke was Professor of Economics at Princeton! Being a professor of economics clearly doesn’t preclude spouting drivel when it comes to monetary matters.

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/roubini20/English

Gold prices have been rising sharply, breaching the $1,000 barrier and in recent weeks rising towards $1,200 an ounce and above. Today’s "gold bugs" argue that the price could top $2,000. But the recent price surge looks suspiciously like a bubble, with the increase only partly justified by economic fundamentals.

END

Mr. Roubini clearly hasn’t contemplated how the gold price has not kept up with the price it should command based on the inflation of the money supply. As that is gold’s primary function it can not be in a bubble. In fact it is quite the reverse, gold is undervalued.

He further states

Gold prices rise sharply only in two situations: when inflation is high and rising, gold becomes a hedge against inflation; and when there is a risk of a near depression and investors fear for the security of their bank deposits, gold becomes a safe haven.

END

He clearly is unaware of a third situation. That is when an ever increasing demand for gold is met fraudulently with "paper gold" and not real physical gold. This is achieved through ETF’s, futures, derivatives but most extensively on the London OTC market by way of unallocated accounts that are run on a fractional reserve basis. The amount of gold that has been sold that does not exist I have estimated to be between 30,000-50,000 tonnes. That is about equal to all the gold reserves that remain in the world to be mined! This third reason is the biggest and most important reason why gold prices are rising and will continue to rise to unimaginable levels. As more and more people seek to own physical gold the fraud of selling paper as a substitute for the real metal will be revealed causing a short squeeze like the world has never seen. Roubini’s mocking of a $2,000 price expectation will make him look very stupid when the price exceeds multiples of that price target.

But the most moronic statement of Roubini’s was this:

But since gold has no intrinsic value, there are significant risks of downward correction in gold prices.

END

The intrinsic value of anything real is how much it costs to produce it. Gold has intrinsic value because currently at a price of $1100/oz it costs approximately $900-$1100/oz to mine it (mining companies are making somewhere between 0-20% net profit). When the price of a tangible good drops below the cost of production the supply reduces and the price rises to a profitable level again.

The cost of producing trillions of dollars is next to nothing. The dollar has no intrinsic value because it costs nothing to produce it. As its purchasing power drops there is no self-regulating mechanism that reduces its production. In fact as its purchasing power reduces the government will produce more because it will need more as the costs of its spending programs increase.

Roubini is part of the 99.9% of economists who give the other 0.1% a bad name!

Second Place: Paul Walker, CEO of GFMS

Paul Walker came close to taking this year’s prize but was narrowly beaten despite making a sterling effort:

http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/mineweb/en/page33?oid=88713&sn=Detail

"This may not be the gold rally you have been waiting for" - Paul Walker, the GFMS CEO, does not believe this is the rally that will sustain gold above $1000 an ounce

END

Paul Walker made this speech when gold was trading at $996/oz and silver at $16.28/oz. While he was denigrating the precious metals he let slip something of monumental importance:

The recent spike in the gold price to around the $990 an ounce range is unlikely to lead to a sustained rally above the psychologically significant $1000 an ounce level. This is the view of GFMS CEO, Paul Walker. Rather, he believes the jump is the result of "a few fairly significant lumpy transactions" that have gone through the market at a time when he, and his colleagues at GFMS maintain, there has been a degree of illiquidity.

END

I have recently described what is going on in the physical market to be the equivalent of a "Run on the Bank of the Gold Cartel". Here we have Paul Walker talk of "significant lumpy transactions". What does that mean? My guess is that can ONLY be referring to the physical market and it means some big players have asked for delivery of gold in LARGE quantities. And Walker says this has come at a time when "there has been a degree of illiquidity". What does that mean? The Cartel doesn’t have the gold to meet these large deliveries!

GFMS published their Q2 Report on the Gold Market. I wrote a critical analysis of this report

http://www.gata.org/node/7699

I pointed out that GFMS, with a blatant manipulation of the statistics, had turned a 2% growth in gold demand to an 8.6% decline! This was because Central Banks had turned net buyers of gold in the quarter and GFMS excluded their purchases from the demand because, in their words, the Central Banks are a traditional source of supply!!!

But from the CEO himself we learn that the gold market is illiquid. Isn’t it disingenuous at best or fraudulent at the worst to turn a 2% demand surge into an 8.6% plunge just when the market is drying up knowing full well their report is widely followed? It also brings into question the motivations of the World Gold Council (WGC) who commissions the GFMS Gold Market reports.

Proving fraudulent intent is difficult, so we will settle for the lesser crime of being a complete moron.

And (drum roll please) the winner of the 2009 Moron of the Year award is………..

Philip Klapwijk, GFMS Executive Chairman

Philip Klapwijk had the audacity to spout his award winning drivel in front of the audience at the New York Hard Assets Conference!

http://www.mineweb.co.za/mineweb/view/mineweb/en/page33?oid=83114&sn=Detail

The keynote speaker, Philip Klapwijk, Executive Chairman of GFMS, offered a highly analytical presentation covering gold and silver that almost grudgingly conceded that despite highly adverse fundamentals, gold could still rise a little over the remainder of the year, but not by as much as many analysts believe because fundamentals are currently so adverse.

Silver's fundamentals were also seen as sufficiently poor to keep prices back, despite its traditional volatility which has tended to see it outperforming gold on the way up, and underperforming on the way down.

Klapwijk's address was titled 'Is it game over for gold and silver, or has the bull market in these metals still got legs?' As noted above his feelings on gold were mixed, but purely on fundamental grounds, which have put supply into a substantial surplus, largely through a plunge in jewelry fabrication demand coupled with an inordinate amount of scrap coming on to the market.

He suggested the current supply/demand balance should not support even the current gold price. The fact that the gold price is as high as it is thus down to investment demand, but if the stock market in general continues to climb, making people less risk averse, then money could start flowing out of investment gold (where the appetite seems already to be waning) back into general equities.

Klapwijk painted an even gloomier picture on silver with rising mine supply and falling industrial demand moving the market to a substantial surplus. But, he pointed out--while investment demand for gold has reached nearly one-third of the offtake as much of the world sees gold as money-- investment demand for silver lags far behind with only the diehards seeing silver as a monetary metal nowadays.

Perhaps in favor of price rises, though, short term interest rates are at or near zero, government budget deficits are exploding and monetary supply growth is extremely rapid and inflation is likely to pick up strongly at some stage.

Under normal circumstances, Klapwijk averred, we might have already seen peaks in price for both gold and silver, but central bank and governmental policies could prolong the bull market a little longer, but the adverse fundamentals will bring prices down eventually.

Other points in favor of precious metals price rises could be that Central Banks are moving back to a stage where they seem to have less appetite for the selling off gold reserves; some are even beginning to buy which could continue to support gold, despite the adverse basic fundamentals. Even so, he would not predict more than an $1100 peak for gold and a return to $20 silver as possible medium term high points for the metals.

In a Q and A session, in response to a question as to whether he would debate Bill Murphy of GATA on the latter's view that there is a global banking conspiracy to keep the gold price down, Klapwijk replied with a very definite "NO!" He quoted Margaret Thatcher on the IRA in that he would not wish to give the GATA views the publicity that such a debate might generate.

END

On the day that Philip Klapwijk made his speech gold was trading at $923/oz and silver at $14.21. This highlights what stellar analysts GFMS really are! But the real reason for winning the 2009 MOTY is his likening GATA to IRA terrorists and implying that what GATA has to say has no merit.

GATA’s allegations were made in Federal Court by the landmark lawsuit brought by Reg Howe. The eventual Federal Court ruling in April 2002 did not in any challenge the veracity of GATA’s allegations. Judge Lindsay ruled

"The facts set forth below are those alleged in the complaint as well as uncontested matters of public record, which have been adverted to by the parties in their papers….I must accept as true the allegations in the complaint and construe in the plaintiff’s favor all reasonable inferences from those allegations."

www.marketforceanalysis.com

Adrian is the proprietor of Market Force Analysis, a website service offering a unique analysis method which provides reliable indications of market turning points and when is a good time to enter, take some profits or exit a market. Subscribers receive bi-weekly bulletins on the markets to which they subscribe. Adrian is also a member of the Board of Directors of GATA.

New Message
Please login to post a reply