Welcome To The Kimber Resources HUB On AGORACOM

Creating value through Exploration and Development in the Sierra Madre of Mexico

Free
This is something I wrote to a friend today. He's a fellow Kimber shareholder who has had some interesting developments take place in his life recently. I am hoping many of you will understand why I felt it appropriate to post it here. If you don't understand why, then I would suspect that you have probably not been a Kimber shareholder for a very long time. All the best, Bull

Edward, I've been thinking about you today. I've been thinking about the fact that it is often easier for one man to see another man's future. This is what I mean: I sensed the worry in your voice involving your life and where things may be going with you. My internal response was: "What's Edward worried about? He's going to be O.K." My sentiments along these lines had to do with my sense of who you are, totally disconnected with your financial situation. What you owe doesn't enter into it.

Ironically, I believe that my understanding of your situation is the more correct one. It is the way I feel towards my children when they worry about a lost toy. They are so upset, usually crying. I will, on such occasions, say things like, "It's not a big deal. Don't worry about it." My daughter, Sarah, responded once, some years ago, by saying quite emphatically, "But it is a big deal. It's a big deal to me!" Then I realized that it was a big deal to her, just as such a thing would have been a big deal to me when I was her age.

In the same way, when I would talk to my father in the years before he died about financial worries he would just laugh them off. "Go spend time with your kids. Who cares?"

"How can he say such things?" I would often wonder, "doesn't he realize the seriousness of my situation?" It has taken me years to realize that he wasn't just saying such things. Those were the things he really felt at that point in his life. Perspective had allowed him to understand that ultimately it wouldn't really make any difference, that everything would turn out how it would turn out, and that failure, even great failure wouldn't hamper one's life as it progressed forward towards the end.

And he knew failure. He had made one fortune in insurance and lost it, completely. He had made another fortune in real estate and lost that completely. He had gone through two marriages. He died with only a few thousand dollars in his bank account that one of his daughters from his second marriage, quickly swooped in and extracted within hours of his passing. Then that was it. He was gone.

I think of the line from Proverbs 20:24:

"A man’s steps are directed by the LORD; how then can any man understand his way?"

And I wonder about worry. What is worry really? Why do we do it? My wife once said to me, "I'm glad you've got leaks in that building (an investment property we built) because it gives you something to worry about. If you ever get all the leaks fixed, you'll need to find something else to worry about." Guess what? She was exactly right. I sold the building for half a million dollars, and now I am worrying about other things that I would never have given thought to in the past, stupid things like how the baseball team I'm coaching is going to do this season. I've been coaching the same kids for the past four years, and I've never woken up in the morning with my first thoughts being to worry about the team. Now I am doing that regularly. Edward, to this, I'm sure you would say, "I know, but you're not really worrying about that like I'm worrying about what I'm worrying about." Let me assure you right now. I am worrying, really worrying. You might then say, "How can you worry about that? It's not a big deal. What I've got is a big deal!" Two responses: #1 In the words of Sarah, "It's a big deal to me!!!" #2 Perhaps nothing is a big deal.

In any event, I started this letter out be talking about how one man can more clearly see another man's future. Perhaps this is why we are here together, all of us, to help each other along the ways of our respective journeys. To give counsel and words of comfort to be each other's eyes and ears as we all make our ways through life.

I can see your future. You are going to do just fine. You are going to do what needs to be done, and you are going to keep going. You are not going to die poor. You are not going to be living in the gutter. And anyway, related to that, here's a more profound question... Even if you do end up living in the gutter, so what?

Will that be so bad? I've lived in the equivalent of the gutter before, working in the third world, no electricity, no running water, sick all the time, cockroaches crawling all over me as I was sweating it out on the toilet in the outhouse with Giardia in the middle of a sweltering hot night. What was so bad about that? I look back on those days and wonder why I didn't enjoy them more. I'm sure I didn't, because I was worrying about something back then too. Guess what? I don't even remember what it was. All I remember is that life went on, and I did fine. It unfolded in ways that I never would have been able to plan myself and that any worry I had probably did very little to change.

From Luke:

22 And He said to His disciples, “For this reason I say to you, do not worry aboutyour life, as to what you will eat; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. 23 “For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. 24 “Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap; they have no storeroom nor barn, and yet God feeds them; how much more valuable you are than the birds! 25 “And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life’s span? 26 “If then you cannot do even a very little thing, why do you worry about other matters? 27 “Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; but I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 28 “But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you? You men of little faith! 29 “And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying. 30 “For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things. 31 “But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you. 32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom.

As we look back on our lives, and the paths we have thought we have chosen, but in reality have been guided onto, we see plainly that just about everything we planned and worried about and thought about didn't turn out even remotely as we initially imagined.

Ecclesiastes 12:13 "Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole [duty] of man."

Perhaps this is what my father was trying to tell me. Even if on a conscious level he didn't truly understand it himself, some variation of the words of King Solomon above. Ultimately outcomes in life wouldn't be decided on how I chose. They would be decided on who I was.

Edward, this must be the hardest lesson to learn for us as men, the lesson of true faith. The great irony, as I am alluding to, and have been alluding to throughout this entire letter, is that it is easy to see when the lesson applies to someone else, but very difficult when it applies to ourselves. Part of my motivation to move to New York came from that speech you gave to me about trusting God. You were so forceful and powerful the way you delivered it. And I know you believed it, yet here you are at the same crossroads and the same leap of faith becomes more difficult.

Alas, it is a strange and poignant truth wrapped up in the very nature of human existence. All enigmas have meaning on the deepest level, and perhaps this is God's clever way of tying us all together, why He tells us through Solomon in Proverbs to "seek wise counsel in order to insure victory." Essentially, we cannot do it on our own. We cannot see things clearly on our own. We need the eyes of others. We need to humble ourselves and accept that groups grow towards perfection together. You know that my beliefs in reincarnation as a Christian make me somewhat of an oddball, but one of the central tenets of what I might call Modern Christian Reincarnationist Thought is that large groups of souls travel through time together, lifetime after lifetime, continuing to build each other up towards greater awareness of God and man's relationship to God en route to perfecting themselves, i.e. becoming suitable companions to God.

Regardless of whether such things are true or even resonate with you on any level in any way at all, a world where one man sees the things that another cannot would be a formula that even the creator of a video game who was trying to build bonds between players could easily imagine and create. What better way to make players dependent on each other than to make goals and the discovery of truth near impossible without such dependence. In such a world, only one thing would keep a man from advancing. That one thing would be pride. Interestingly enough, that is the one abomination to God that is mentioned above all others in the Scriptures. Such a world would tie worry to man's ability to communicate and share information with others. Those who could communicate and listen would thrive. Those who could not, would suffer. Very interesting, I think, and maybe with a tiny hint towards something profound.

Anyway, you've given me wise counsel and helped me make decisions that I wouldn't have been able to make on my own. I do my best to do away with worry daily, and I am still looking for answers. I don't know what the answers are for you. I can tell you this, and I believe it sincerely. The worries you have are things you and I will smile about some day. If this letter hasn't made you feel better, then I have one last suggestion you could try. Its the time-honored technique that doesn't work, but that we've all still been advised numerous times to try by well-meaning dingbats. That would be to compare your situation to someone else's who is much less fortunate than you are. In this serious case of yours, I need to pull out all the stops and give you a truly wretched case of human suffering in hopes that I can shock you into correct thinking. Now brace yourself, because the case I am going to give you has caused so much suffering and anguish and worry within my own house that I am extremely reluctant to even mention it, but I will, in hopes that one soul's suffering will bring help to you. It has to do with my youngest son, Joe. Three days ago he misplaced his Spider Man action figure, and he has not been able to find it anywhere! Oh the pain he goes through daily! You cannot imagine it! I would not wish such a fate upon anyone! The crying, the grief, the sheer anguish of it all! What if he never finds that Spider Man action figure again? Edward, can you imagine what life will be like for him then? All the best, Sitting Bull
New Message
Please login to post a reply