Free
Message: Re: Can lithium-ion batteries power an airplane? NASA's answer: Yes, indeed!

Okiedo, I am not saying that the “EV plain” is not possible to build. On the contrary and the article proves that. What I am saying is, that the current “energy density” makes it difficult to make it commercially feasible, because: 1)batteries are just too heavy – while in a car you can sort of “fake” it by adding few hundred kg into the weight of the car. In a plain that approach will not work for obvious reasons. 2) Infrastructure -  all these innovations do put a carriage in front of the horse, meaning that current infrastructure will not support any innovation like that. In my previous comment, I have outlined the energy requirement for relatively small plain – approximately 10MWh per flight hour. Even if you take half of that figure, you end up with quite high output to be deployed at the airport not to mention, that it is not simple to charge large batteries. Tesla has problems to charge 70kWh and here we talk about megawatts per hour.

In case of trucks and likely plains, the batteries are not optimal (unless of course some magic chemistry will deliver energy density 20x better than current). Either hydrogen or a “synthetic” kerosene would do a better job. In case of plain, the law of physics just cannot be ignored. There is nothing to be challenged, the source of energy is key and we don’t have it.

New Message
Please login to post a reply